The Women's Fund of Greater Milwaukee's Her Scholarship program is dedicated to helping non-traditional students achieve a college degree and greater financial stability. Recipients are women over 35 attending college at selected schools in the Milwaukee area, and are chosen based on their financial need, educational goals, and commitment to community involvement. Since its inception in 1996, more than $122,000 has been awarded to more than 52 scholars.
This year’s recipients are working toward degrees in accounting, health care administration, education, English, psychology, community leadership, and fashion design.
Kari Andrews of Greenfield is an Education major at the UW-Milwaukee where she plans to obtain certification in Spanish and English as a Second Language. Kari is an active volunteer in her church in the areas of social services and community outreach.
To see a full list of 2010 recipients, visit the Women’s Fund website: www.womensfund.com.
Julie Maloney, a former Her Scholarship recipient, said: "I feel the support of so many women, strangers within my community, who have decided to invest in me, knowing that my success is our success." Julie graduated this spring with a degree in International Studies from UW-Milwaukee.
The $28,500 in Her Scholarships will be awarded at a special reception on Tuesday, June 8th at 5:30 p.m. at the Woman's Club of Wisconsin.
The scholarships are provided in partnership with the Plunkett Family Foundation, the Pat Wilmeth Fund, the College Endowment Association, and the Woman's Club of Wisconsin Foundation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. John the Evangelist Announces Open House
- Alverno College Names Wendy Powers Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- UW-Parkside announces 2012-2013 Greenfield graduate
- Alverno College Appoints Vice President for Enrollment Services
- Alverno College Professor Honored for Distinguished Achievement in Teacher Education
- Alverno College students will donate 170 Thanksgiving dinners to Hunger Task Force
- Alverno College Holds its 145th Commencement on May 18 and 19
- Local students named to Carroll University dean's list--fall 2011
- Greenfield High School 2012 Community Rummage Sale
- WASB Honors Greenfield Student Author