The Hales Corners Historical Society invites you to its August 5 meeting, 7:00 p.m., in the Hunt Room of the Hales Corners Library, 5885 S. 116th St. The program will feature Lew Mallow and his presentatiton about Andersonville Prison and Cemetery.
The Civil War was an American tragedy, and Andersonville was a Civil War tragedy. When the prisoner exchange program broke down, the federal war department issued a non-exchange directive: "holding pens" would become permanent prisons. The "temporary" prison at Andersonville would claim the lives of 12,914 Union soldiers between February 1864 and April 1865.
Mallow has devoted his retirement years to research about the American Civil War. The program is free and open to the public.
For more information, call Audrey at (414) 529-2687.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- BBB Top 10 Scams of 2014
- Greendale Students Meet Senator Lazich
- 2nd Annual Bulldog Bash
- Work At Home Scam Targets College Students
- Callen Construction Recognized by Houzz
- Second Planning Mtg. for Hales Corners Chamber's Awards Banquet
- 8U Zone Baseball Looking To Fill Out Its Roster
- Greenfield, WI 3rd Grader Named Top 10 Finalist in SCOTTIES National Trees Rock Video Contest
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program