The Hales Corners Historical Society invites you to its August 5 meeting, 7:00 p.m., in the Hunt Room of the Hales Corners Library, 5885 S. 116th St. The program will feature Lew Mallow and his presentatiton about Andersonville Prison and Cemetery.
The Civil War was an American tragedy, and Andersonville was a Civil War tragedy. When the prisoner exchange program broke down, the federal war department issued a non-exchange directive: "holding pens" would become permanent prisons. The "temporary" prison at Andersonville would claim the lives of 12,914 Union soldiers between February 1864 and April 1865.
Mallow has devoted his retirement years to research about the American Civil War. The program is free and open to the public.
For more information, call Audrey at (414) 529-2687.
- Fire Fighters Urge Caution Near Fireworks on Independence Day
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Named One of Pest Control Technology’s Top 100 Pest Management Firms in the U.S.
- Hoops for Awareness
- Playground at Malone Opens July 2nd
- Martin Luther Baseball Sets Records, Earns Honors
- Real Time Explores Milwaukee’s Urban Wilderness
- McCarty Park Boot Camp
- First Outdoor Movie of the Summer in Greendale
- Support for K9s Keeps "Brewing"
- KIDS hit the Road starting in West Allis