The Hales Corners Historical Society invites you to its August 5 meeting, 7:00 p.m., in the Hunt Room of the Hales Corners Library, 5885 S. 116th St. The program will feature Lew Mallow and his presentatiton about Andersonville Prison and Cemetery.
The Civil War was an American tragedy, and Andersonville was a Civil War tragedy. When the prisoner exchange program broke down, the federal war department issued a non-exchange directive: "holding pens" would become permanent prisons. The "temporary" prison at Andersonville would claim the lives of 12,914 Union soldiers between February 1864 and April 1865.
Mallow has devoted his retirement years to research about the American Civil War. The program is free and open to the public.
For more information, call Audrey at (414) 529-2687.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Help clients plan and prepare for a retirement that is both financially and emotionally successful
- SM Historical Society "Decorating for the Holidays" Seminar
- A Nostalgic Afternoon
- Julius Jr. Experience Comes to Greendale at Southridge Mall on Sept. 20
- THE 3rd ANNUAL REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL is back!
- Nancy's Run, Rock & Stroll- Saturday September 20th!!
- U.S. News & World Report ranks Alverno College highest in the state in its “Strong Commitment to Teaching” category for the fifth consecutive year
- Tool Time at the St. Francis Library
- SCORE 50th Anniversary Luncheon October 9th
- Local Youth Advocate Attends Anti-Tobacco Training in Washington, D.C.