The Hales Corners Historical Society invites you to its August 5 meeting, 7:00 p.m., in the Hunt Room of the Hales Corners Library, 5885 S. 116th St. The program will feature Lew Mallow and his presentatiton about Andersonville Prison and Cemetery.
The Civil War was an American tragedy, and Andersonville was a Civil War tragedy. When the prisoner exchange program broke down, the federal war department issued a non-exchange directive: "holding pens" would become permanent prisons. The "temporary" prison at Andersonville would claim the lives of 12,914 Union soldiers between February 1864 and April 1865.
Mallow has devoted his retirement years to research about the American Civil War. The program is free and open to the public.
For more information, call Audrey at (414) 529-2687.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Alverno College Names Wendy Powers Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Required School Supplies More than Families Can Afford
- Alverno College Appoints Eileen Sherman Dean of Business
- Second Saturday Aug 9 10am Oak Creek Community Center
- Register NOW for K3, K4 - 8th Grade
- Jr Hawks U14 Tryouts for 2015
- Greenfield Artists at Firefly Art Fair
- 6 Tool Select Baseball ryouts
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Milwaukee Choristers to Hold Auditions