The Hales Corners Historical Society invites you to its August 5 meeting, 7:00 p.m., in the Hunt Room of the Hales Corners Library, 5885 S. 116th St. The program will feature Lew Mallow and his presentatiton about Andersonville Prison and Cemetery.
The Civil War was an American tragedy, and Andersonville was a Civil War tragedy. When the prisoner exchange program broke down, the federal war department issued a non-exchange directive: "holding pens" would become permanent prisons. The "temporary" prison at Andersonville would claim the lives of 12,914 Union soldiers between February 1864 and April 1865.
Mallow has devoted his retirement years to research about the American Civil War. The program is free and open to the public.
For more information, call Audrey at (414) 529-2687.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin Public Library Children’s Department adds
- The Great Decisions Series is a Great Decision at the Franklin Public Library
- "Battle of the Bays" winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Alverno College Will Hold its 150th Commencement on December 19 and 20
- Greenfield Schools Kick off "Holiday Sharing" Event
- 2015 Greenfield Little League Registration Now Open
- With Holidays Upon Us, BBB Offers Travel Insurance Tips
- 6th Annual Greenfield Library Holiday Bake Sale on December 13
- FREE New Years Resolution Tranformation
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive