The annual awards luncheon of the Hales Corners Woman's Club was held this month at Tuckaway Country Club. Because of numerous fundraisers held throughout the year, the club was able to award $2,500 to community service projects and an additional $2,000 in scholarships.
President Arlene Kaiser and Pat Warchol, Social Chair of the event, welcomed about 40 members and guests. Vicki Wenke, Scholarship Chair, introduced the recipients of two $1,000 scholarships: Samantha Betlej, a graduating senior from Whitnall High School, and Ann Mauro, an adult woman continuing her education at Alverno College. This is the first year the Woman's Club has awarded a scholarship to a woman, a practice that will continue in coming years.
Mrs. Warchol, Chair of the Project Study Committee, announced the awards for 2010:
Hales Corners Library, for the summer reading program - $750; Sojourner Family Peace Center - $650; Stahl-Conrad Homestead - $350, Friends of the Hales Corners Pool - $200; Hales Corners Fire Department - Emergency Medical Services - $250; Hales Corners Police Department for the D.A.R.E. program - $300.
Soprano Bevery Larson entertained the guests.
Membership in the club is open to all women from Hales Corners and surrounding areas. Although no meetings will be held in the summer, the club will participate in the Fourth of July parade and will work at the Sentry brat/hotdog stand. Some of the members also belong to a 9-hole golf league on Tuesdays at Whitnalll Park. For more information about the club's activities or membership, please contact Aldona Fischer, 414-421-1060.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 2nd Annual Bulldog Bash
- Work At Home Scam Targets College Students
- Callen Construction Recognized by Houzz
- Second Planning Mtg. for Hales Corners Chamber's Awards Banquet
- 8U Zone Baseball Looking To Fill Out Its Roster
- Greenfield, WI 3rd Grader Named Top 10 Finalist in SCOTTIES National Trees Rock Video Contest
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Free Help with Tax Returns Offered at MATC's Oak Creek and Downtown Milwaukee Campuses
- Alverno College Exceeds $30 Million Capital Campaign Goal