Whitnall Wrestlers Top South Milwaukee
Six consecutive wins in the lower weight classes--five pins and a forfeit--sealed a 48-24 victory for Whitnall's wrestlers Wednesday night over South Milwaukee. The win at the Whitnall gym was the Falcons' tenth in 12 dual meets during the month of January, ending the dual meet season with a record of 21-14.
"Tonight's win was a good way to finish our schedule of dual meets," Whitnall coach John Quinlan said following the win before a Parents Night crowd. "And it was a great way for the seniors to go out--all of them gave a good effort." Quinlan noted that the seniors contributed to 98 dual meet wins over the past four years.
In a win by forfeit, senior co-captain Zach Noel notched the 134th victory of his high school career, fourth highest among all Whitnall wrestlers. Fellow senior Alex Guzman notched a 21-5 decision over South Milwaukee's Steve Gibula in a 160-pound match.
While Quinlan was grateful for the effort of his graduating competitors, it was the underclassmen accounting for seven of the team's nine wins. Juniors Matt Price and Kameron Bourgeois pinned their opponents and Nathan Barnhart and Josh Langenohl scored decisions. Sophomores Demetrius Wall, Ruben Garcia and Mason Howard each won by pins.
"I think we showed that our younger kids are growing up a bit," Quinlan said. "They're not making the big mistakes we sometimes saw earlier in the year, and they're recovering when they do make a mistake."
Whitnall's wrestlers now prepare for the annual Woodland Conference meet which they will host on Saturday, February 6.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SMOKIN' ACES AND CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
- Character Education Recognized in South Milwaukee: South Milwaukee School District Earns State District of Character Award
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances
- New Study Spaces at Franklin Public Library
- New Home for Uncle Ned's Consignment Liquidation & Estate Sales, LLC
- Franklin Public Library Author Talk with Carrie Reichartz
- National Youth Wind Orchestra of Luxembourg to perform
- Back to School Special
- Crafters, classic car owners, community groups sought for community event
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Announces 14th Annual Big League Blood Drive