Whitnall Wrestlers Top South Milwaukee
Six consecutive wins in the lower weight classes--five pins and a forfeit--sealed a 48-24 victory for Whitnall's wrestlers Wednesday night over South Milwaukee. The win at the Whitnall gym was the Falcons' tenth in 12 dual meets during the month of January, ending the dual meet season with a record of 21-14.
"Tonight's win was a good way to finish our schedule of dual meets," Whitnall coach John Quinlan said following the win before a Parents Night crowd. "And it was a great way for the seniors to go out--all of them gave a good effort." Quinlan noted that the seniors contributed to 98 dual meet wins over the past four years.
In a win by forfeit, senior co-captain Zach Noel notched the 134th victory of his high school career, fourth highest among all Whitnall wrestlers. Fellow senior Alex Guzman notched a 21-5 decision over South Milwaukee's Steve Gibula in a 160-pound match.
While Quinlan was grateful for the effort of his graduating competitors, it was the underclassmen accounting for seven of the team's nine wins. Juniors Matt Price and Kameron Bourgeois pinned their opponents and Nathan Barnhart and Josh Langenohl scored decisions. Sophomores Demetrius Wall, Ruben Garcia and Mason Howard each won by pins.
"I think we showed that our younger kids are growing up a bit," Quinlan said. "They're not making the big mistakes we sometimes saw earlier in the year, and they're recovering when they do make a mistake."
Whitnall's wrestlers now prepare for the annual Woodland Conference meet which they will host on Saturday, February 6.
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!
- Welcome Pokemon Go Players
- TAPAS & FLAMENCO GUITARIST D'Arez
- The Starr Group Hires Marco Briceno
- Rogers Behavioral Health to Host Job Fair on August 11
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- USO Motorcycle Ride
- KIDS From Wisconsin to Rock New Berlin West Aug. 19
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- Toomas Mitt and TBG Networks change direction of company; introduces POM services