The alumni from over 40 years of Greenfield Wrestling came out to watch the rivalry between Wauwatosa and Greenfield and the Hawks did not disappoint. They came away with a 50-22 win to move to 1-2 in the Woodland Conference to set up a key match before the holidays with Whitnall on December 23rd.
After a slow start which saw the Hawks lose three of the first four matches through the 125 pound weight class, the team would then win the next nine matches in a row. Tosa could only manage one more win on the night with a pin at heavyweight. Winning on pins for the Hawks were Taylor Wirtz, Kevin Vazquez, Jake McClanahan, and Patrick Bruyette. Winners on decisions were Keng Thao, Dominic Kroll, Tyler Flink, and Bryan Donovan. Steve Fisher and Andrew Krueger won by forfeit.
Although Tosa was missing some starters due to a band concert conflict and a few to injury, the Hawks won three key toss-up matches which really decided the outcome. "The wins at 112, 160, and 171 really were big in terms of the team score but more so in the confidence levels for Thao, Flink, and Donovan. It will also help in the seeding for the conference tournament in February. Our seniors really stepped up for this meet."
Special "guests of honor" for this meet included former coaches: Paul Brandl, Dale Haymann, Lowell Littaritz, Dick Mrochinski, and Bob Austin. There were also 38 former wrestlers in attendance and many alumni of GHS. Especially well represented was the class of 1968 which was the first conference championship of 14 for the Hustlin' Hawks.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- L’Oréal Paris Providing Complimentary Blowouts at THE SALON at ULTA Beauty - April 25th
- K3, K4 and K5 Open House
- SDNB Awarded $100K for Innovative School-to-Work Programs
- May Writers’ Night at the Franklin Public Library
- Greenfield Artist Brian Kuether Featured on Channel 10 Auction
- Ladies Luncheon Featuring Chef Zac Licau
- Art Petalers Fair blooms May 9 at Custom Grown Greenhouse
- Spring Salad Luncheom
- Auction Benefits Outdoor Recreation
- Alverno College Cancels Classes For One Day So Students Can Volunteer