Residents are Asked to Help with Snow and Ice Removal
Help Letter Carriers Avoid Delivery Delays and Possible Injury
Greenfield, WI— The Greenfield Post Office requests that customers clear their mailboxes and walkways of snow and ice during the winter months. Postal Service letter carriers have suffered serious injuries related to slips, trips and falls during the past years.
“We want to assure there are no delays in mail delivery caused by letter carriers being unable to approach mailboxes safely,” says Greenfield Postmaster Julie Joers. Letter carriers are advised to not risk a vehicle accident or a fall if access to a mailbox is not free of snow or ice. In those cases, mail may be returned and delivery reattempted the next day.
“No one wants to inconvenience the customer,” Joers said. “But we must ensure the safety of our employees.” The Postal Service is asking customers to help keep their letter carrier safe this winter by keeping walkways, steps and porches clear of snow and ice that can lead to dangerous falls.
• Customers are asked to clear enough snow from curbside boxes to allow mail trucks to approach the box, deliver the mail, and to drive away from the box without danger or the need for backing.
• Walkways should be cleared of snow and ice and allow enough traction to avoid slips, trips or falls. Keep particular attention to areas affected by gutter runoff that refreezes onto the sidewalk.
• Steps should also be kept clear of ice and snow and in good repair so as not to cause injury to the letter carriers or others who visit the customer’s home.
• Overhangs should be clear and free of snow and ice to avoid injury.
The best way to avoid injury is prevention. Please help your letter carrier provide you with the best service, as safely as possible.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- ONLY A FEW SPOTS LEFT FOR CIGARMKE'S FEBRUARY EVENT
- House of Love Celebration '15 Is Almost Here!
- BBB Top 10 Scams of 2014
- Greendale Students Meet Senator Lazich
- 2nd Annual Bulldog Bash
- Work At Home Scam Targets College Students
- Callen Construction Recognized by Houzz
- Second Planning Mtg. for Hales Corners Chamber's Awards Banquet
- 8U Zone Baseball Looking To Fill Out Its Roster
- Greenfield, WI 3rd Grader Named Top 10 Finalist in SCOTTIES National Trees Rock Video Contest