The Greenfield Wrestling Team bounced back from a tough 46-12 loss to Pewaukee to capture 2nd place at the Tom Burns Invitational held at Marquette University High School on Saturday. The team was led by champions Taylor Wirtz at 135 pounds and Patrick Bruyette at 215. Both wrestlers had undefeated opponents from the Marquette in the finals and won by scores of 7-2 and 4-2.
Second place finishers were Steven Fisher, Dominic Kroll, and Andrew Krueger while Kevin Vazquez, Bryan Donovan, and Jake McClanahan placed third. Once again, McClanahan was in the toughest weight-class of the tournament. "He really wrestled well even against champion Davion Willis from Milwaukee Custer who is one of the best 189 pounders in the state."
Other place winners for the Hawks were Zach Stelse (4th), Alec Adams (5th), Tyler Flink (5th), and Andrew Patrick (6th). Out of the line-up was Simerdeep Grewal at 119 due to illnesss and Keng Thao at 112 who was taking the ACT test. " It would have been interesting to see if we could have caught Marquette with these two in the line-up."
Winning for the team against Pewaukee were Krueger, Bruyette, and McClanahan. Next up for the Hawks is Wauwatosa at home on Wednesday (12/16) starting at 7 p.m. It is our alumni meet and will feature many of the former GHS coaches and wrestlers. Please plan to attend as it should be a good meet and chance to see many friends of Greenfield Wrestling.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- "Shop Small"on Small Business Saturday
- Russ Darrow Group Hosting Donation Drive for The Salvation Army
- Franklin 8th Grader makes team USA U15
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Comes Alive
- BBB's Holiday Helper: A Guide to Gifting and Giving
- Holiday Folk Fair International Offers Ticket Discounts to Support Salvation Army
- 58th Annual Christmas Holly Fair
- Local Contractor Joins Campaign for Hunger Relief
- Santa is Coming to Town in Greendale
- Local Resident Participates in A CHRISTMAS CAROL at Sunset Playhouse