The Greenfield Wrestling Team bounced back from a tough 46-12 loss to Pewaukee to capture 2nd place at the Tom Burns Invitational held at Marquette University High School on Saturday. The team was led by champions Taylor Wirtz at 135 pounds and Patrick Bruyette at 215. Both wrestlers had undefeated opponents from the Marquette in the finals and won by scores of 7-2 and 4-2.
Second place finishers were Steven Fisher, Dominic Kroll, and Andrew Krueger while Kevin Vazquez, Bryan Donovan, and Jake McClanahan placed third. Once again, McClanahan was in the toughest weight-class of the tournament. "He really wrestled well even against champion Davion Willis from Milwaukee Custer who is one of the best 189 pounders in the state."
Other place winners for the Hawks were Zach Stelse (4th), Alec Adams (5th), Tyler Flink (5th), and Andrew Patrick (6th). Out of the line-up was Simerdeep Grewal at 119 due to illnesss and Keng Thao at 112 who was taking the ACT test. " It would have been interesting to see if we could have caught Marquette with these two in the line-up."
Winning for the team against Pewaukee were Krueger, Bruyette, and McClanahan. Next up for the Hawks is Wauwatosa at home on Wednesday (12/16) starting at 7 p.m. It is our alumni meet and will feature many of the former GHS coaches and wrestlers. Please plan to attend as it should be a good meet and chance to see many friends of Greenfield Wrestling.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Root River Theatre Company Presents "Speed-the-Plow"
- L’Oréal Paris Providing Complimentary Blowouts at THE SALON at ULTA Beauty - April 25th
- K3, K4 and K5 Open House
- SDNB Awarded $100K for Innovative School-to-Work Programs
- May Writers’ Night at the Franklin Public Library
- Greenfield Artist Brian Kuether Featured on Channel 10 Auction
- Ladies Luncheon Featuring Chef Zac Licau
- Art Petalers Fair blooms May 9 at Custom Grown Greenhouse
- Spring Salad Luncheom
- Auction Benefits Outdoor Recreation