“Bird Fest” is a family event for everyone who likes to see, listen and study our feathered friends and the clues birds give us about our environment. It will take place at the Mitchell Park Domes, 524 South Layton Boulevard (just north of National Avenue, on 27th Street) on Saturday, April 18 from 9am to 3pm. Exhibitors, vendors, and displays will be available throughout the Domes. Scheduled education programs are listed:
9:30am Owls in Our Backyard - by Howard Aprill and Tufts the Owl;
10:15am Bird Watching for Everyone - by Mark Verhagen;
11:00am Gardening for the Birds - by Mariette Nowak;
11:45am Bird Banding and Citizen Science - by Tim Vargo;
12:30pm WI Birds of Prey Rehabilitation - by Barbara Harvey;
1:45pm The Status of Eastern Bluebirds in WI - by Patrick Ready;
2:30pm Wild Birds and Imprinting - by Anne Duffy and Bart the Crow.
There will be birding in Mitchell Park, activities for the children, informative displays and more! All three domes can be toured throughout that day, including “Spring in Yorkshire” in the Show Dome.
Wisconsin Metro Audubon Society has sponsored the speakers from a National Audubon Society grant. Wild Birds Unlimited (WBU) will be available to answer questions, offer bird feeder supplies for purchase, as well as provide a chance to win a WBU gift certificate. The Center for Avian Rehabilitation and Education (CARE) will have their tropical birds for families to see up close and talk about the bird adoption process at CARE. Scott Diehl from the Wisconsin Humane Society Wildlife Center will discuss his work rehabilitating wildlife in southeastern Wisconsin.
Admission rates are $5.50 for adults, senior citizens with proof of Milwaukee County residency are $4.00, children ages 6-17 are $4.00 and children 5 and under are free. Friends of the Domes are free! For more information please call the Mitchell Park Domes at (414) 649-9830.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- A Carefree Moment - A charity event to support Cancer patients
- CigarMKE SPRING FLING EVENT - FEBRUARY 21ST
- Grand Opening of this New & Unique Shop Destination Shop to Carrie On
- Children's Resale at Franklin Library
- Understanding the Journey of Grief...Making Healing Choices Along the Way
- SeniorCare Resource Group of WI March Seminar
- Collaborative Divorce Group to hold Second Saturday workshop April 12th 10am-Noon Oak Creek Community Center
- Holocaust Remembrance Service at Alverno College
- Alverno College’s Poll Worker Project Wins State-wide Award
- Alverno College students to “Stuff the Bus” a third time to help homeless