After a long, cold winter and a rainy spring, Wisconsin residents are ready to get outdoors and finally enjoy some nice weather. Nothing says summer in Wisconsin like backyard cookouts, parties on the patio and tailgates! With longer days and warmer nights ahead, entertaining outdoors is a summer staple, but when unwanted pests crash the party things can quickly take a turn for the worst.
In the midst of planning the perfect gathering, the less glamorous aspects of outdoor entertaining are easily forgotten. However, proactive pest planning should begin long before the brats and burgers are flipped—unless you want the pests to stick around longer than your guests!
Wil-Kil Pest Control, a Menomonee Falls based pest management company, can help Wisconsinites reclaim their yards this summer with the following tips.
Outdoor entertaining tips to prevent pests:
• Make sure screen doors and windows are on tight with no holes, rips or tears
• Avoid standing water around the home by maintaining a continuous flow in ditches and monitoring sprinkler systems
• Get rid of old tires and artificial water containers where pests may gather
• Change water in birdbaths and wading pools once or twice a week
• Weed around the home frequently
• Keep rain gutter unclogged and flat roofs dry
• Store wood and compost piles at least 25 feet away from home and entertaining areas
• Treat shrubs, flowers and grassy areas with appropriate insecticide
• Remove any sources of food surrounding the home, such as garbage bags, pet food and fallen fruit
• Mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk—if possible, stay indoors at these times
o If outdoors during mosquitoes’ active periods, use repellents to protect against bites
Hopefully these tips will help you have a happy and pest-free summer!
For more information, visit www.wil-kil.com.
About Wil-Kil Pest Control
Wil-Kil Pest Control, founded in 1929, is a regional pest management company that provides quality pest management for residential and commercial properties throughout the Upper Midwest. Wil-Kil utilizes the latest technologies and techniques of Integrated Pest Management methods while delivering customized programs with personalized service. The pest control company has earned the reputation of being “The Upper Midwest’s Quality Leader” in pest management. Wil-Kil is an operating division of Copesan Services, Inc, with offices located in Sun Prairie, Menomonee Falls, Eau Claire and Appleton, Wis. For more information, please visit www.wil-kil.com and follow the company on Facebook and Twitter.
# # #
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- JB’s on 41 Renews Commitment to Community with Family-Friendly Food Drive and Bowling for Veterans Program
- Hallman Lindsay opens West Allis Store
- 6th grade basketball team in in of players
- VMP Manor Park Pumpkin Smash
- Franklin Lioness Fair Set for Oct. 25 at MATC's Oak Creek Campus; Proceeds Benefit MATC Scholarships
- West Allis Pastor and Music Director Perform Concert in Sweden
- "Identity Theft" presented by Educators Credit Union
- Acacia Theatre's "Fish Eyes" Has Greenfield Assistant Stage Manager
- Honoring Our Heroes This Veteran’s Day at the Franklin Public Library
- Young Life Wauwatosa at Pizzeria Picola and Yo Mama's!