Talented youths will twirl, spin, strut, drum, and compete at the Daley Debutantes Baton and Drum Corps' 49th annual Shamrock Festival on Sunday, March 4 at Greendale's Martin Luther High School, 5201 S. 76th St.
The event will feature solo and group competitions in baton twirling, pompons, color guard flag, rifle, and percussion. The public is welcome to watch. Spectator admission is $6 for adults and $2 for children 12 and under. The Shamrock Festival begins at 9 a.m. And will conclude by 5 p.m.
Competition highlights will include the twirl-off and strut-off to select the top twirler and strutter of the day. The twirler who scores the most points in advanced level solos will win the William Daley Memorial Irish Sweepstakes Award. Approximately 150 competitors for four states are expected to participate.
The event, hosted by the Daley Debutantes, will be held at Martin Luther High School for the first time. The corps, founded in 1955 by Sherry Daley Jung, won its 40th National Championship this past July at America's Youth On Parade on the campus of the University of Notre Dame. They have also won 55 State Championships. Jung also currently teaches baton for the Greenfield/Greendale Recreation Department.
The group performs in 18 local parades each year. The corps has won many “Best On Parade” or “Top Specialty Unit” awards in local parades and even the Chicago’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade and the San Diego Big Bay Balloon Parade.
The corps has represented the United States in Dublin, Ireland for its St. Patrick’s Day Parade twice. Members have also performed at halftime shows for the Sugar Bowl, Gator Bowl, Hall of Fame Bowl, Kick-Off Classic, and Pacific Life Holiday Bowl. The group briefly appeared in the parade chase scene in the Hollywood blockbuster film “The Fugitive.”
The Daley Debutantes have over 100 members from 22 communities in five Southeastern Wisconsin counties.
Visit www.daleydebutantes.com or call Sherry Daley Jung at 414-476-9659 to learn more about the competition and the group.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blessing of Bikers and Bikes
- Greenfield Youth Basketball Club Tryouts (Boys)
- WOW! Women of Wisconsin Exhibit to Open at Alverno College
- SMOKIN' ACES AND CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
- Character Education Recognized in South Milwaukee: South Milwaukee School District Earns State District of Character Award
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances
- New Study Spaces at Franklin Public Library
- New Home for Uncle Ned's Consignment Liquidation & Estate Sales, LLC
- Franklin Public Library Author Talk with Carrie Reichartz
- National Youth Wind Orchestra of Luxembourg to perform