The Wisconsin Association of School Boards (WASB) is proud to announce that Connor Schmidt, a student at Glenwood Elementary School in the Greenfield School District, won the kindergarten and first-grade division of the 2011 WASB Write and Illustrate Your Own Book Contest.
Connor won for his creative book The Zombie King, which tells the story of a boy who goes on an exciting adventure with his parents involving dungeons and zombies!
Each year the contest recognizes the outstanding talents of our state’s students through cash prizes and recognition at state education events.
"Write a compelling story, accompany it with original illustrations and then bind the final product into an attractive book — this is the challenge we issue to youngsters who participate in this project,” WASB Executive Director John Ashley said. “The project supports creativity and fosters entrepreneurial potential, which are 21st century imperatives for public education.”
Winners were honored during the WASB’s fall regional meetings. Held in 15 locations around the state during September and October, these meetings bring together school board members and district administrators to discuss educational issues. Winning books will also be displayed at the annual State Education Convention, held Jan. 18-20, 2012 in Milwaukee.
WASB would like to thank the Wisconsin State Reading Association for judging the entries and J.P. Cullen & Sons, Inc for supporting this year’s contest.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- GMS Author Visit Promotes Literacy, Love of Books!
- Free Culinary Camps for High School Students to be Held at MATC’s Oak Creek Campus in June
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Nine Kitchen Storage Solutions
- Memorial Day Program
- Spectrum Communications Hits the Big 3-0
- Children's Medical Grants Now Available in Wisconsin from the UnitedHealthcare Children's Foundation
- Engineering Students Sorting Out Details of a Tough Project
- Alverno College Will Hold its 147th Commencement on May 17 and 18
- Virtual Education: Why it can work for you
- River Cruise Seminar