The Wisconsin Association of School Boards (WASB) is proud to announce that Ava Wisniewski of Elm Dale Elementary School won the second- and third-grade division of the 2011 WASB Write and Illustrate Your Own Book Contest.
Ava won for her wonderful book The Amzaing Story of Max. Remarkably, this is the second time that Ava has placed first in her division of the contest! She took first place in the kindergarten and first-grade division last year with her book Lilly Makes a Splash.
Each year the contest recognizes the outstanding talents of our state’s students through cash prizes and recognition at state education events.
“Write a compelling story, accompany it with original illustrations and then bind the final product into an attractive book — this is the challenge we issue to youngsters who participate in this project,” WASB Executive Director John Ashley said. “The project supports creativity and fosters entrepreneurial potential, which are 21st century imperatives for public education.”
Winners were honored during the WASB’s fall regional meetings. Held in 15 locations around the state during September and October, these meetings bring together school board members and district administrators to discuss educational issues. Winning books will also be displayed at the annual State Education Convention, held Jan. 18-20, 2012 in Milwaukee.
WASB would like to thank the Wisconsin State Reading Association for judging the entries and J.P. Cullen & Sons, Inc for supporting this year’s contest.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 8U Zone Baseball Looking To Fill Out Its Roster
- Greenfield, WI 3rd Grader Named Top 10 Finalist in SCOTTIES National Trees Rock Video Contest
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Free Help with Tax Returns Offered at MATC's Oak Creek and Downtown Milwaukee Campuses
- Alverno College Exceeds $30 Million Capital Campaign Goal
- Valentines Event to Benefit Firefighter Non-Profit Group
- New Spring Programming for Children at Franklin Public Library
- 16th Annual Reflections of Wellness for Women
- All You Can Eat Spaghetti Dinner