The Wisconsin Association of School Boards (WASB) is proud to announce that Ava Wisniewski of Elm Dale Elementary School won the second- and third-grade division of the 2011 WASB Write and Illustrate Your Own Book Contest.
Ava won for her wonderful book The Amzaing Story of Max. Remarkably, this is the second time that Ava has placed first in her division of the contest! She took first place in the kindergarten and first-grade division last year with her book Lilly Makes a Splash.
Each year the contest recognizes the outstanding talents of our state’s students through cash prizes and recognition at state education events.
“Write a compelling story, accompany it with original illustrations and then bind the final product into an attractive book — this is the challenge we issue to youngsters who participate in this project,” WASB Executive Director John Ashley said. “The project supports creativity and fosters entrepreneurial potential, which are 21st century imperatives for public education.”
Winners were honored during the WASB’s fall regional meetings. Held in 15 locations around the state during September and October, these meetings bring together school board members and district administrators to discuss educational issues. Winning books will also be displayed at the annual State Education Convention, held Jan. 18-20, 2012 in Milwaukee.
WASB would like to thank the Wisconsin State Reading Association for judging the entries and J.P. Cullen & Sons, Inc for supporting this year’s contest.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SM Historical Society "Decorating for the Holidays" Seminar
- A Nostalgic Afternoon
- Julius Jr. Experience Comes to Greendale at Southridge Mall on Sept. 20
- THE 3rd ANNUAL REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL is back!
- Nancy's Run, Rock & Stroll- Saturday September 20th!!
- U.S. News & World Report ranks Alverno College highest in the state in its “Strong Commitment to Teaching” category for the fifth consecutive year
- Tool Time at the St. Francis Library
- SCORE 50th Anniversary Luncheon October 9th
- Local Youth Advocate Attends Anti-Tobacco Training in Washington, D.C.
- Local Wins Gold Award for Middle-Grade Book, 'George Knows'.