Teddy Esser of Hartland, Wisconsin, has been involved with scouting since he was a Tiger Cub in the 1st grade. He is a member of Boy Scout Troop 119 from St. Dominic Congregation in Brookfield, and is in pursuit of his Eagle Scout, the highest rank attainable in the Boy Scouting program. According to the Boy Scouts of America, part of becoming an Eagle Scout requires that the scout plan, develop, and lead a service project – the Eagle Project – that demonstrates leadership and a commitment to duty.
Esser is no stranger to community service. He is a senior at Marquette University High School, where community service is part of every student's development. All students are expected to perform a minimum of 170 hours of service during their time at Marquette. Teddy says, “I was inspired to become an Eagle Scout because it teaches leadership skills, how to work with others, and above all, responsibility.”
Teddy’s Eagle Project involves collecting durable medical equipment that will be refurbished and donated to third world countries. He partnered with the Knights of Malta, a religious order that is dedicated to the care of the sick and the poor, and through a generous donation from the Meehan Family Foundation, Esser will be able to make a shipment of the equipment he collects to Guatemala.
Initially, Teddy contacted the Laureate Group, a senior housing provider with eight retirement communities in greater Milwaukee, to see if they would have any donations. Each location was more than willing to contribute to Esser’s cause and coordinated a pick-up schedule with him. “Teddy is truly a role model for the community and we are pleased to be a part of his project,” commented Lisa Stueland, RN, Vice President of Laureate Group. “This is the third Eagle Scout project that our organization has been involved with in the past couple of years.”
Teddy collected donations through the middle of July and will be shipping the equipment to Guatemala this month. He already has one full storage unit filled.
Laureate Group Senior Communities offer independent and assisted living apartments, as well as compassionate dementia care. For more information visit www.laureategroup.com
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Wisconsin Bank & Trust to Host Open House Events in Celebration of Merger with Community Bank & Trust
- WASBO Honors School District of Greenfield
- BBB WGA Offers Tips to Avoid Donor Deception
- Alverno College Will Hold its 151st Commencement on May 22 and 23
- Ascend Dermatology debuts new brand identity at ten locations across SE Wisconsin