The Greenfield Police Department is accepting applications for it's Citizen Police Academy
What is the Citizen Police Academy?
The Greenfield Citizen Police Academy is a community relations based program designed for the citizen to do two things. One, to meet the men and women who serve them, and secondly, to be educated about the “how’s and why” of law enforcement. The primary objectives of the Citizen Police Academy are:
• To increase citizen awareness of a police officer’s job responsibilities.
• To improve communications with citizens and create an understanding between police department employees and residents of the community.
• To educate citizens of the community who can assist in the dissemination of information to the public concerning operations of the department.
What topics are covered?
The participants will be given a realistic view of the department. A wide variety of topics are discussed, from an introduction to the police department to understanding patrol procedures, state statutes and traffic law, officer survival and use of force, firearms, criminal investigation, evidence collection, crime prevention and police officer requirements to mention a few.
Who can attend?
Any adult (18 years or older) that is a Greenfield resident or is employed in the city of Greenfield may apply to attend the Citizen Police Academy. Applicants must completely fill out an application; have a clear criminal record and a minimal driving violation record. Selection of applicants will be made to have a cross-section of citizenry in each class to maximize perspectives, observations, and personal experience. Attendance of 80% of the scheduled sessions is required for graduation.
When and where does the class meet?
The 2011 Greenfield Citizen Police Academy will be held on Thursday nights from 6:30PM to 9:30PM and is scheduled to begin Thursday March 10, 2011 and conclude on Thursday May 12, 2011 (no class will be held on Thursday April 21 during Easter break). The class will also meet on one Saturday, that being Saturday April 9th for firearms training. The course consists of 9 sessions with the last session serving as a graduation. The class will meet at the Greenfield Law Enforcement Center. During the Citizen Police Academy students may participate in either a ride-a-long with an officer and/or sit in and observe the communication/dispatch center.
For specific information and applications, contact Captain Paul Schlecht 414-761-5338 or go to www.greenfieldpolice.org
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- All You Can Eat Spaghetti Dinner - February 20th!
- 6 Tool u13 Baseball Looking for 1 more Player
- Alverno Presents Okwui Okpokwasili: Bronx Gothic
- You're Invited to a Lenten Concert & Fish Fry
- Franklin Public Library Acquires Gale Courses for Community Education
- Whitnall High School to Host National Wheelchair Basketball Tournament Feb. 5-7
- Local Pastor Speaks on Church Persecution
- Black Lives Matter: Racial Disparity and the Criminal Justice System
- Men's Grief Support Gathering
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease