The Greenfield Wrestling Team bounced back from a sixth- place finish in the Woodland Conference meet to finish tied with Whitnall for second in the Racine Case Regional Tournament won by Franklin who qualified all 14 members of their team. The Hawks will send nine qualifiers to their own sectional on Saturday, February 19th, starting at 10 a.m.
Champions were Andrew Krueger at 140 (32-5) and Matt Brendemihl at 189 (18-10). Runner-ups included Alec Adams at 125 (26-12), Taylor Wirtz at 130 (29-7), Dominic Kroll at 135 (24-13), Kevin Vazquez at 145 (15-9), and Zach Stelse at 285 (9-5). Dominic Caputa finished third at 119 (10-17) and Andrew Patrick was fourth at 112 (17-19).
The three wins for Krueger moved him to 98 career victories while Wirtz is right behind at 97 for his four year total. Wirtz and teammate Vazquez are trying to return to the state meet in Madison after qualifying last year as juniors. All three wrestlers are captains on the Hawk squad. Brendemihl put himself in a very advantageous position by upsetting the number one seed Erick Magerowski of Franklin(30-12) by a 6-2 decision in the finals. His number one position in the bracket at the sectionals gives him a legitimate shot at a state berth.
"I was very pleased with the effort of our kids Saturday and liked their focus after a tough conference meet. What many people don't realize is that we have seven solid wrestlers who perform at a high level in every dual or tournament. It is the inexperience or not being able to fill a couple of weight classes that really hurts us in the overall team score. It is for this reason, that regionals, sectionals, and state are very exciting. The kids can concentrate on their individual performance without having to worry about the team score."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- "The Ultimate Sacrifice and History" presented by Tom Mueller (Oak Creek Resident)
- Up and Coming Website for Teen Moms
- Economic Developments on the Horizon in Oak Creek and Franklin
- 2014 Holiday Folk Fair International to Host 5k Run/Walk
- Day Trip to Chicago - Treat Yourself!
- Largest Youth Football Scrimmage in the State?
- August is “Cataract Awareness Month”: 6 Things you should know about CATARACTS
- Men Journeying Through Grief
- RE/MAX Realty 100 of Milwaukee Celebrates 35th Anniversary
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host 13th Annual Big League Blood Drive