Greenfield - For the second straight season, the Whitnall Youth Basketball Club's sixth-grade Blue team won its division of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship.
Team members are Daniel Alexopoulos, Padraic Brannon, Sean Damro, Tyler Herro, Philip Karnes, Will Kegel, Andrew Mallmann, Lucas Merritt, Joey Tilley and Daniel Wolff. The head coach is Chris Herro and the assistant coach is Zac Mallmann.
All of these boys attend Whitnall Middle School. This team has started playing competitively in third grade and many of the boys started playing for the YMCA or Upward in first or second grades.
Building on last season's success, the sixth-grade boys played outstanding team basketball and beat every team by 12 points or more over the course of the entire tournament.
A total of 86 teams competed in the sixth-grade division at the tournament, which was played in the Green Bay area.
For the first time in the club's history, Whitnall had boys teams invited to compete in every grade level from fifth through eighth grades of the Wisconsin State Invitational.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Jared McGranahan happy to be Whitnall's new football coach
- Whitnall softball team off to perfect start
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Football: Whitnall hires new varsity football coach
- Deep Whitnall softball squad has high hopes for 2014 season
- Strong returnees boost Greenfield softball team
- Sports Shorts: April 10
- Whitnall girls track and field team wins Cedarburg Invite
- Greenfield boys track and field takes ninth to open season
- Whitnall girls rallied after slow season start