Whitnall girls seek repeat, capture Franklin crown
Stave, Johnson win events at indoor track and field meet
Greenfield - The goal for Whitnall's girls track and field team this season is clear - repeat as Woodland Conference champion.
The Falcons launched their campaign on a strong note by winning Saturday's Franklin Indoor Invitational at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside with 83 points, beating East Troy's 66 points.
The Falcons prevailed despite being somewhat short-handed.
"We've been plagued early on by some injuries to a couple key distance runners, so we've been without them," head coach Mike Thompson said. "With it being spring break, we're also without some key sprinters. Nevertheless, the girls came ready to compete and did so quite well, as we were able to repeat as Saber Invite champs."
Rachel Stave won a pair of events, taking the 200-meter dash with 26.96 seconds and the triple jump at 35 feet, 6½ inches.
Stave also collected two second places, individually in the 55 dash at 7.72 and with Meredith Heller, Jenny Lawton and Danika Johnson in the 1,600 relay in 4:19.19.
Johnson also put together a strong overall meet, winning the 800 run in 2:32.06 and coming in second in the 1,600 run with 5:29.91.
Lawton added a third in the 55 hurdles (9.62) and Kim Hurst finished third in the 800 run (2:40.67). Heller captured fourth in the 400 dash (1:02.94) and the 3,200 relay of Jasmine Van Tine, Jenny Bahling, Kina Cross and Hurst was fourth as well (11:00.56).
Van Tine placed fifth in the 1,600 run (6:01.96) and Heller was sixth in the 55 hurdles (10.22) to round out the Whitnall scoring.
The Franklin meet was actually the Falcons' first major test of the season.
"With this being our first meet," Thompson said, "it actually gave us a solid five weeks of training before competition. The girls have been pushing themselves hard, as they want to repeat as conference champs."
Whitnall is next in the West Allis Hale Relays at 10 a.m. April 14. After that, everyone should be back from break, and Thompson is hoping some girls will return from injury, so the Falcons can compete at full strength.
Franklin invite results
Whitnall Falcons 83
East Troy Trojans 66
Racine Horlick Rebels 61
Riverside Tigers 61
Muskego Warriors 58
Kenosha Bradford Red Devils 46
Franklin Sabers 45½
Kenosha Tremper Trojans 39
Burlington Demons 27
Racine Case Eagles 24
South Milwaukee Rockets 16
Martin Luther Spartans 8½
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield wrestlers build early lead, tie powerful Pewaukee for Woodland Conference crown
- Greenfield combined swimming team soars to second in Woodland Conference Meet
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers pull themselves off mat, top New Berlin in Woodland Conference dual
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers surge to Kenosha Bradford Invitational crown
- Shooting determines fate of Whitnall girls basketball team in pair of games
- Whitnall boys shake off slow start, go on to hammer South Milwaukee in Woodland Conference
- Whitnall boys basketball team sweeps three foes, wins twice in Woodland Conference
- Victory over rival, Plymouth Invitational crown highlight big week for Greenfield wrestlers
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers snare sixth in strong Marquette Invitational
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers come away with third place at Manawa Invitational