Whitnall earns split with Brown Deer, then runs into strong pitching
Falcons then halted by Bay, Pewaukee pitchers
After a hard-earned split against Brown Deer early last week, the Whitnall baseball team ran into some hot pitchers in losing to Pewaukee and Whitefish Bay.
The Falcons nipped Brown Deer 6-5 on June 23 as Mitch Brault drove in three runs with a double to key a four-run sixth inning. Josh Daniels added two hits and scored two runs.
Jon Drew went 42/3 innings, striking out three, and Austin Jenk fanned two in 21/3 frames of work.
The next night, though, Brown Deer downed Whitnall 9-5. Brault had another good night, going 3-for-4, but Whitnall managed just eight hits on the evening.
Pitchers Blake Leslie, Tyler Regeth and Brault combined to allow nine hits with eight strikeouts and seven walks.
Whitnall then dropped a 10-0 decision to Pewaukee on June 26.
"We gave up too many walks and hit-batters," head coach Ben Krey said. "You can't do that against a good hitting team like Pewaukee. We actually hit the ball hard but the Pewaukee defenders were right there."
The Falcons lost a 4-0 game to powerful Whitefish Bay one night later. They did collect seven hits off one of the better pitching staffs in the area, and David Gaertner pitched a solid six innings to keep them close.
"Whitefish Bay is a very good team," Krey said, "and we couldn't string together the three hits we needed."
The Falcons slipped to 7-7 in the Woodland Conference and 8-12 overall.
They visit New Berlin West at 5 p.m. on Thursday, July 3, and travel to Oak Creek at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, July 7. They close out Woodland action at home against New Berlin Eisenhower at 5 p.m. on Thursday, July 10.
- Clutch hitting helps Whitnall baseball team complete three-game Woodland sweep
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in 0-3 week
- Big innings taking Greenfield baseball team out of games this season
- Whitnall baseball team puts together good week until pair of losses to Pius XI
- Whitnall baseball team still searching for consistency
- John Quinlan named new head football coach at Whitnall High School
- Inexperience hurting Greenfield baseball team
- Football: Shane Covington named new head football coach at Greenfield High School
- McGranahan leaves Whitnall football coaching job to take Kenosha Tremper position
- Whitnall's Bickerstaff moves on to state track and field meet in hurdles race