Whitnall earns split with Brown Deer, then runs into strong pitching
Falcons then halted by Bay, Pewaukee pitchers
After a hard-earned split against Brown Deer early last week, the Whitnall baseball team ran into some hot pitchers in losing to Pewaukee and Whitefish Bay.
The Falcons nipped Brown Deer 6-5 on June 23 as Mitch Brault drove in three runs with a double to key a four-run sixth inning. Josh Daniels added two hits and scored two runs.
Jon Drew went 42/3 innings, striking out three, and Austin Jenk fanned two in 21/3 frames of work.
The next night, though, Brown Deer downed Whitnall 9-5. Brault had another good night, going 3-for-4, but Whitnall managed just eight hits on the evening.
Pitchers Blake Leslie, Tyler Regeth and Brault combined to allow nine hits with eight strikeouts and seven walks.
Whitnall then dropped a 10-0 decision to Pewaukee on June 26.
"We gave up too many walks and hit-batters," head coach Ben Krey said. "You can't do that against a good hitting team like Pewaukee. We actually hit the ball hard but the Pewaukee defenders were right there."
The Falcons lost a 4-0 game to powerful Whitefish Bay one night later. They did collect seven hits off one of the better pitching staffs in the area, and David Gaertner pitched a solid six innings to keep them close.
"Whitefish Bay is a very good team," Krey said, "and we couldn't string together the three hits we needed."
The Falcons slipped to 7-7 in the Woodland Conference and 8-12 overall.
They visit New Berlin West at 5 p.m. on Thursday, July 3, and travel to Oak Creek at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, July 7. They close out Woodland action at home against New Berlin Eisenhower at 5 p.m. on Thursday, July 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Greenfield falls to Greendale in Woodland girls volleyball title match
- Greenfield football team tips Tosa West, secures WIAA playoff spot
- Football: Greenfield secures playoff spot, edges Tosa West
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Joey Schauer keeps on scoring, assisting for Whitnall boys soccer team
- Missed scoring opportunities keep haunting Greenfield football team
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Football: Greenfield holds on to down Whitnall in neighborhood football battle
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7