Whitnall closes out regular baseball season with victory over Lions
Falcons finish .500 in Woodland
A meeting with rival New Berlin Eisenhower on July 10 was just what the Whitnall baseball team apparently needed to shake it out of a late-season slump.
The Falcons came into that Eisenhower contest having lost six of seven down the stretch, and they needed a lift.
They scored five runs in the first inning and went on to a 7-2 victory in the regular-season and Woodland Conference finale.
"It's always good to beat a conference opponent," head coach Ben Krey said, "and the games are always intense when we play Eisenhower. We were able to jump on them (the Lions) early."
In that big first inning, Peter Moore doubled in two runs, Josh Stark doubled in another and Jon Drew singled in a fourth run.
Moore finished the game 2-for-3 with three runs batted in and two scored, while Stark was 3-for-4 with two RBIs and a run, David Gaertner 2-for-4 with two runs and Drew 2-for-4 with an RBI and run scored.
The Falcons pounded out 14 hits in support of Tyler Regeth, who pitched five innings, and Blake Leslie, who finished up the final two frames.
The victory put Whitnall at 9-9 in the Woodland Conference and 9-14 overall for the regular season.
The Falcons met Franklin on July 15 in a WIAA tournament game and if they won, they would take on top seed Greendale (27-3) at 7 p.m. on Friday, July 18, in a regional title contest.
The regional champion goes to Greendale at 11 a.m. on Monday, July 21, for a sectional semifinal. The sectional championship contest is at 7 p.m. that day at Greendale.
Whitnall fell to Oak Creek 7-4 on July 7 in its only other action last week. Moore went 2-for-4 with a run scored and Gaertner was 1-for-3 with two RBIs and a run.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: South Milwaukee football dominant over Greenfield
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Whitnall football team handed yet another tough defeat by Rockets
- Ezekial Banks' long run boosts Greenfield football team past Messwood
- Football: Banks delivers big run as Greenfield rallies
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Whitnall's Lauren Lent captures world championship in powerlifting
- Whitnall football team comes up just short once again in WC opener
- Trent Lower hired as new athletic director at Greenfield High School
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5