Greenfield - After opening the Woodland Conference season with a resounding 72-30 romp over St. Francis, Whitnall's boys basketball team downed a foe from the always-strong Milwaukee City Conference.
The Falcons dropped Bradley Tech, 57-52, on Saturday morning in the Fresh Coast Classic at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
Austin Hurst led a balanced attack with 16 points, while Sam Mentkowski added 14 points, Nathan Schaefer nine points and Brent Sluka eight points. Both Mentkowski and Sluka connected on a pair of 3-point field goals.
Whitnall nursed a one-point lead into the fourth quarter, then outscored Tech 13-9 to gain the victory.
The Falcons dominated their Woodland game against St. Francis on Nov. 20, breaking to leads of 17-9 after one quarter and 38-16 at the half.
Hurst again was the leading scorer, this time with 12 points. Trenton Coleman and Mentkowski each put in 10 points and Sluka eight for Whitnall, which placed 11 players in the scorebook.
All together, it was a nice bounce-back week for the Falcons, who had opened the season with a disappointing 22-point loss to Waukesha West.
Whitnall welcomes rival Greenfield (0-2 going into this week) at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 30 in another Woodland contest. The Hustlin' Hawks lost two games last week by a combined seven points.
The Falcons then host Cudahy (1-2) at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 4. The Packers posted their first victory of the season when they beat the Milwaukee School of Languages, 50-41, behind 20 points from Tyler Fricke.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall boys soccer team tops Greendale, holds onto Woodland lead
- Football: Tre'Vaughn Craig fills gap and Greenfield football holds on to down Whitnall
- Greenfield football team pulls away from Cudahy to post Woodland Conference victory
- Offense helps Whitnall boys soccer team bolt to 9-1-1 season record
- Whitnall football team downs Shorewood/Messmer, clinches WIAA playoff berth
- Whitnall girls volleyball team completes season sweep of Woodland East rivals
- Greenfield football team handed first loss of season by Brown Deer
- Whitnall football team continues strong run through Woodland East Division
- Whitnall's Lauren Lent captures second straight world powerlifting championship
- Whitnall football team continues surge by routing Brown Deer