Whitnall baseball team records crucial sweep of South Milwaukee
Falcons move up in Woodland East Division
In a five-game stretch last week, the Whitnall baseball team took two journeys.
One was to Purdue University in Indiana for a doubleheader with Pius XI on June 21, and the other was to the upper reaches of the Woodland Conference East Division.
The Falcons swept South Milwaukee 5-1 on June 17 and 7-6 on June 16, to improve to 6-2 in division play and move even with the Rockets.
"Those were two big wins for us, right in a row," said head coach Ben Krey. "That gave us two things — momentum and confidence."
Drew gets victory
In the June 17 victory, Jon Drew worked a complete game, allowing five hits while striking out five and walking just one.
Austin Jenk had two hits, drove in two runs and scored once, while David Gaertner also brought in a run and scored another.
One night earlier, Tyler Regeth notched the pitching victory, and the Falcons rallied for three runs in the sixth to take a 7-5 lead and then held on to win.
The Falcons took on red-hot Greendale on June 19 and came away with an 8-2 defeat. The Panthers had only lost once this season going into this week.
Whitnall fell to Greendale starter Zack Henderson, who is on his way to the University of Missouri next season. Henderson fanned 10 in his five innings of work.
Matt Bublitz and Blake Leslie pitched for Whitnall.
"Greendale's got a lot of guys who can hit the ball, and when you face Henderson, that doesn't help," Krey said.
On June 21, Whitnall and Pius traveled to West Lafayette to play on the Purdue campus.
"We like to play on a college field once a year," Krey explained. "Last year, we were at Illinois-Chicago. One of the fathers at Pius contacts a number of schools, and Purdue was willing to host."
The teams split a doubleheader of decidedly different games, with Whitnall winning 16-6 and losing 2-0.
The Falcons pounded out 18 hits in the first game, led by Regeth, Gaertner, Josh Stark and James Menden. Stark pitched well but took the loss in the second contest.
Whitnall came into this week at 6-4 in complete Woodland play and 7-9 overall. The Falcons welcome Pewaukee at 5 p.m. Thursday, June 26, and visit Whitefish Bay at 5:30 Friday, June 27.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Greenfield secures playoff spot, edges Tosa West
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Joey Schauer keeps on scoring, assisting for Whitnall boys soccer team
- Missed scoring opportunities keep haunting Greenfield football team
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Football: Greenfield holds on to down Whitnall in neighborhood football battle
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7
- Local woman reaches the heights in state skeetshooting tournament
- Whitnall breaks through for first football victory of 2014 season
- Greenfield falls just short of upsetting Brown Deer in football game