West Allis Hale's Keen claims sixth at state track
Whitnall's Heller captures ninth place
Peter Keen moved steadily up the charts in the discus at the WIAA Division 1 State Track and Field Meet on Saturday at La Crosse.
Keen carried only the 13th seed out of 24 entrants in the event, based on his performance in sectional action the previous week, but he made up plenty of ground and wound up sixth with a toss of 153 feet, 9 inches.
"I had nothing to lose out there," Keen said. "I was only seeded 13th going in, so I wanted to do the best that I could and see where it took me."
The senior then reflected on the work that led up to his career-ending state effort.
"There's a lot of hard work that's gone into this, and I cannot say enough about all the help that my coaches and teammates have provided," Keen said. "Lonnie Heller (the discus coach and former Hale boys head coach) has been especially helpful."
Keen now plans on entering the Marine Corps after graduation.
He was one of seven competitors from Hale, Greenfield and Whitnall at the state meet, and they received mixed results.
Whitnall senior Meredith Heller finished ninth in the 300-meter hurdles with 47.29 seconds, just one spot short of scoring points for her team. She moved up from 10th place in the preliminaries.
Senior Alex Schwab of Hale came in 10th in the 100-meter dash at 11.3 seconds, missing eighth place by .2 seconds.
Greenfield junior Robert Hopeful came in 18th in the triple jump with 41 feet, 5 3/4 inches.
Also taking 18th in the triple jump was Hale sophomore Elizabeth Brunner at 35-1.
Whitnall freshman Jasmine Bickerstaff claimed 23rd place in the 100-meter hurdles at 18.67 seconds and fellow Falcon Sam Mentkowski, a senior, did not make the final of the 400 dash, coming in 19th in the preliminaries at 51.62.
- Greenfield boys relay team prevails in Pewaukee Invite
- Whitnall softball team wins in different ways, remains unbeaten at 13-0
- Improving Greenfield boys golf team claims fourth place in large Franklin Invitational
- Whitnall boys track and field team win own invite title
- Jack Miller resigns as Greenfield High School boys basketball coach (1)
- Whitnall girls claim team championship in own track invite
- Strong pitching helps keep Whitnall softball team unbeaten for young season
- Greenfield softball team posts five straight shutouts before loss to Westosha Central
- Whitnall's Bauer outduels Greenfield's Matthias in 1-0 softball victory
- Greenfield girls soccer team bounces back from two losses with shutout of West Allis Central