West Allis Hale's Keen claims sixth at state track
Whitnall's Heller captures ninth place
Peter Keen moved steadily up the charts in the discus at the WIAA Division 1 State Track and Field Meet on Saturday at La Crosse.
Keen carried only the 13th seed out of 24 entrants in the event, based on his performance in sectional action the previous week, but he made up plenty of ground and wound up sixth with a toss of 153 feet, 9 inches.
"I had nothing to lose out there," Keen said. "I was only seeded 13th going in, so I wanted to do the best that I could and see where it took me."
The senior then reflected on the work that led up to his career-ending state effort.
"There's a lot of hard work that's gone into this, and I cannot say enough about all the help that my coaches and teammates have provided," Keen said. "Lonnie Heller (the discus coach and former Hale boys head coach) has been especially helpful."
Keen now plans on entering the Marine Corps after graduation.
He was one of seven competitors from Hale, Greenfield and Whitnall at the state meet, and they received mixed results.
Whitnall senior Meredith Heller finished ninth in the 300-meter hurdles with 47.29 seconds, just one spot short of scoring points for her team. She moved up from 10th place in the preliminaries.
Senior Alex Schwab of Hale came in 10th in the 100-meter dash at 11.3 seconds, missing eighth place by .2 seconds.
Greenfield junior Robert Hopeful came in 18th in the triple jump with 41 feet, 5 3/4 inches.
Also taking 18th in the triple jump was Hale sophomore Elizabeth Brunner at 35-1.
Whitnall freshman Jasmine Bickerstaff claimed 23rd place in the 100-meter hurdles at 18.67 seconds and fellow Falcon Sam Mentkowski, a senior, did not make the final of the 400 dash, coming in 19th in the preliminaries at 51.62.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield's Kevin Meyers claims second national tandem bicycle title
- Whitnall underclassmen shine at WIAA Division 2 state swimming, diving meet
- Whitnall girls basketball team gears for transition season in 2014-15
- Greenfield swimmers see season end in WIAA Division 1 sectional meet
- Divers lead the way for Whitnall in WIAA Division 2 sectional meet
- Whitnall girls swimming, diving team grabs seconds at Woodland
- Greenfield girls volleyball team's season ended by nemesis Greendale
- Whitnall girls swimming team notches trio of second places in Woodland
- Football: Blount capitalizes for Waukesha West, Greenfield eliminated
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1