Hale, Central girls
make all-GMC in volleyball
West Allis players were represented on the 2011 All-Greater Metro Conference girls volleyball team.
Senior Erin Barbeau of West Allis Hale was on the first team, while seniors Hannah King of Hale and April Wildes of West Allis Central were both part of the second team and seniors Sarah Fabina of Hale and Mehryn Kraker of Central received honorable mention.
Barbeau was on the first team for the second straight season, and she and Britney Held of Brookfield Central were the only repeaters on first team. King was honorable mention last season before moving up to second team this year and Kraker made honorable mention for the second straight season.
Receiving GMC Scholar-Athlete honors were Barbeau, Fabina, King, Kelli Lopez and Rachel Voller of Hale and Alex Craig, Megan Dressel, Amy Nycz, April Wildes, Jenny Wildes, Halie Weigel, Jamie Weigel and Kraker of Central.
in national CC meet
Alex Gonzales, a West Allis Central graduate, represented Iowa's Ashford University at the cross country nationals in Vancouver, Wash., last week.
Gonzales was a two-time state runner for the Bulldogs in cross country and in track with the two-mile run.
Central's Valdez gains
starting point spot at UW-W
West Allis Central graduate Renee Valdez is the starting point guard for the University of Wisconsin-Waukesha women's basketball team, which won two of its first three games this season.
Valdez, who played the position for the Bulldogs last season, was averaging 11 points per game for the Lady Cougars.
makes college all-conference
Michael Vanek, a Greenfield resident, was named to the all-Northern Athletics Conference first team for soccer this season.
Vanek is a senior forward for the Milwaukee School of Engineering.
He scored six goals and recorded two assists while starting 19 games for the Raiders.
His 12 points placed him 12th in the conference in scoring.
Vanek finished his career with 19 goals and eight assists.
He also made first-team all-conference in the 2009 season.
Graham gets honor
Whitnall grad Sean Graham, a football player, was named Athlete of the Week at UW-Eau Claire earlier this year.
- Sports Notes: May 19, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 12, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 5, 2016
- Sports Notes: April 28, 2016
- Sports Notes: April 21, 2016
- Sports Notes: April 14, 2016
- Sports Notes: April 7, 2016
- Sports Notes: March 24, 2016
- Sports Notes: Feb. 18, 2016
- Sports Notes: Feb. 11, 2016
- Sports Notes: Feb. 4, 2016
- Sports Notes: Jan. 21, 2016
- Sports Notes: Jan. 14, 2016
- Sports Notes: Dec. 31, 2015
- Sports Notes: Dec. 24, 2015
- Sport Notes: Dec. 17, 2015
- Sports Notes: Dec. 3, 2015
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Sports Notes: Nov. 5, 2015
- Sports Notes: Aug. 20, 2015