Greenfield - Some growing pains were evident with the Whitnall boys basketball team in its season opener on Saturday afternoon.
The Falcons fell to Waukesha West, 68-46, in the head coaching debut of Steve Kujawa.
"Any time you have a new offense, you need to establish continuity among the guys," Kujawa said. "We have only three guys who played major time last season, and we didn't come out like we needed to."
It didn't help the Falcons' cause that West was hot from outside, hitting a pair of 3-point field goals in the first quarter and four in the second period in taking a 35-16 halftime lead.
"We didn't close down on their shooters," the coach said. "We knew they had some guys who could hit from long range.
"We made some defensive adjustments and played much better in the second half."
Whitnall was only outscored 33-30 after halftime.
"We had more penetration and dribble-drive opportunities," Kujawa said. "In the first half, we were tentative, but in the second half, we were more confident."
Sam Mentkowski led Whitnall with 12 points, while Nathan Schaefer and Brent Sluka both scored eight points.
The next-highest scorer, though, was Chris Kelnhofer with four points.
"This is something to build upon," Kujawa said. "These kids won't be shaken by this."
The Falcons start Woodland Conference play on Tuesday at St. Francis and take on Bradley Tech at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Wisconsin Lutheran College in the Fresh Coast Classic.
They then visit conference foe Brown Deer at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 27.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers pull themselves off mat, top New Berlin in Woodland Conference dual
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers surge to Kenosha Bradford Invitational crown
- Shooting determines fate of Whitnall girls basketball team in pair of games
- Whitnall boys shake off slow start, go on to hammer South Milwaukee in Woodland Conference
- Whitnall boys basketball team sweeps three foes, wins twice in Woodland Conference
- Victory over rival, Plymouth Invitational crown highlight big week for Greenfield wrestlers
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers snare sixth in strong Marquette Invitational
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers come away with third place at Manawa Invitational
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimming team wins six events at Homestead Metro Invitational
- Will to win helps Whitnall boys basketball team prevail over Westosha Central