Powerful Wisconsin Lutheran scores 42 first-quarter points
Whitnall's season ends in playoff game
Greenfield - A bit of culture shock hit the Whitnall football team in its WIAA first-round playoff game on Friday against Wisconsin Lutheran.
The perennial power Vikings, who have made several trips to the state championship game over the years, stunned the Falcons with 42 points in the first quarter and went on to a 63-26 victory.
Lutheran improved to 9-0 and headed to the second round of the playoffs this weekend, while Whitnall ended its season at 5-4.
"Wisconsin Lutheran is an incredible football program," said head coach Jeff Wallack. "Our schedule gave us nothing to prepare for a team like that. Their second and third string would be competitive in the Woodland Conference. (They hurt us) with their size, their speed - just about everything.
"We just were unable to play against anyone close to their level this season, and our kids are young and inexperienced."
Wallack thought, despite the score, the Falcons gave a solid effort.
"We only had two turnovers," he said. "We went in with a positive approach and we gave our best effort. When you run up against a wall, there's nothing you can do."
The Vikings were up 21-0 when Sam Mentkowski hauled in a 44-yard scoring pass from quarterback Zach Sutton in the first period.
Mentkowski finished with 16 receptions for 181 yards and the one score. The 16 receptions ties him for third place all-time in the state for a single game.
Dan Lak and Patrick Wyrowski also caught touchdown passes from Sutton, who completed 36 of 64 throws for 387 yards for the game.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall falls to Tech in regional
- Co-op gymnasts aim for fourth state title
- Sports Shorts: March 6
- Boys basketball: Whitnall squeaks past South Milwaukee
- Boys basketball: Medenwaldt's clutch three caps stunning rally for Oak Creek
- Whitnall's Bell dives for third
- Whitnall's Monty reaches state wrestling tournament
- Greenfield/Greendale boys swim relay narrowly misses state history
- Dominance leads to league title for co-op gymnasts
- Whitnall's Monty reaches state wrestling meet