Tuyet Nguyen, collecting first, second and fourth places, spearheaded the Greenfield girls track and field team in the Woodland Conference Indoor Meet on April 11 at New Berlin West.
Nguyen won the 55-meter hurdles in a season-best 9.56 seconds, finishing .23 seconds ahead of runner-up Sierra Kurt of South Milwaukee.
Nguyen also shone in the field events, taking second in the triple jump with 33 feet 2 inches and fourth in the long jump at 15-7.
Madison Kohl also snared a second place for Greenfield, taking runner-up honors in the 400-meter dash at 1 minute, 4.86 seconds.
Girls place fifth
They both helped the Hustlin' Hawks tally 50 points for fifth place in the 13-team meet, which was won by New Berlin West at 115½ points.
"The girls team had a very solid performance and should continue to improve moving forward," head coach Adam Tiedt said. "For a team primarily filled with freshmen and sophomores, this team should do very well with gained experience as the outdoor season progresses."
The top performance for the Greenfield boys came from Marcus Meyers, who was second in the long jump with a personal-best leap of 20-1.
Meyers' effort helped the Hawks finish eighth with 22 points in the April 10 event at Pius XI.
"The boys had a lot of different athletes contribute points and will look to get stronger as they move into the outdoor season and look towards outdoor conference," Tiedt said.
Coming in fifth for the girls were Stephanie Van Wieringen in the high jump (4-8) and the 3,200 relay team of Keely Hanley, Tia Ruhland, Jane Friedbacher and Sierra Kumbera (11:15.21).
Taking sixth for the girls were Hanley in the 800 run (2:41.06) and the 1,600 run (5:44.12) and the four-lap relay unit of Audrey Schmidt, Ashlee Schilling, Maggie Tooley and Nguyen (1:35.74).
Andy Sabinash placed sixth for the boys in the 3,200 run (11:11).
The girls 1,600 relay team of Kohl, Schilling, Friedbacher and Ruhland captured seventh (4:46.93), and taking seventh for the boys were Stephen Lisiecki in the 400 dash (57.38), Keith Hetzel in the high jump (5-6) and the 1,600 relay squad of Kyle Schahczinski, Nick Walloch, Lisiecki and Xavier Copeland (3:56.44).
Finishing eighth for the boys were Eric Suminski in the 200 dash (25.92), Copeland in the 400 dash (57.4), Robert Hopeful in the long jump (18-11½) and two relays: the four-lap unit of Walloch, Mike Kaifesh, Schahczinski and Reggie Blakely (1:22.5) and the 3,200 group of Quinton Kufahl, Hetzel, Dylan Kumbera and Sabinash (9:37.92).
Lutheran meet next
Both Greenfield teams were scheduled to take part in the Mondo Invitational at West Allis Hale on Saturday, but that meet was cancelled due to inclement weather.
The Hawks will participate in the Wisconsin Lutheran Invitational Saturday.
- Greenfield softball team downs South Milwaukee, captures outright Woodland Conference title
- Jasmine Bickerstaff's first place helps boost Whitnall girls track, field team to third in Woodland
- New Greenfield boys basketball coach Kyle Johnsen confident about future of program
- Greenfield boys golf team breaks into top half of Woodland Conference standings
- Biersack belts two home runs to boost Greenfield past Whitnall in softball showdown
- Greenfield boys golf team captures Woodland Conference East Division championship
- Greenfield High School hires Kyle Johnsen as head boys basketball coach
- Greenfield girls soccer team bounces back with big victory over South Milwaukee
- Greenfield softball team tunes up for Woodland showdown with six victories
- Whitnall softball team knocks off mighty Westosha Central