Mentkowski paces Whitnall track and field
Relay team, Heller run well for girls at indoor meet
Sam Mentkowski earned the highest individual spot for the Whitnall track and field teams in the Woodland Conference Indoor Meet on April 10 at Pius XI, taking third in the 400-meter dash with 56.71 seconds.
The Falcons' 1,600-meter relay team also placed third in 3 minutes, 51.37 seconds. No names were available for the unit.
The 3,200-meter relay team of Kim Hurst, Alyssa Woo, Brooke Berglund and Jenny Bahling captured the top Whitnall spot in the girls meet on April 11 at New Berlin West, coming in fourth at 10:57.36.
Earning fifth for the boys were Mentkowski in the 200 dash (25.24 seconds) and Eric Ratkowski in the shot put (41 feet, 11 inches).
For the girls, Meredith Heller came in fifth in the 400 dash (1:06.14), 55 hurdles (9.86) and long jump (15-5¼), while the 1,600 squad of Sarah Czerwinski, Robyn Roberts, Hurst and Heller also took fifth (4:38.88).
Jasmine Van Tine ran sixth for the girls in the 3,200 (12:58.23).
The girls four-lap unit of Hannah Fischer, Michelle Koklas, Sara Sison and Jasmine Bickerstaff captured seventh (1:37.71) and eighths were taken by Leah Windt in the 1,600 run (5:55.65) and Jenny Lawton in the 55 hurdles (10.27).
The Falcons girls scored 28 points for ninth in the 13-team meet, while the boys tallied 20 points for ninth place as well.
"With the exception of a few juniors and seniors, we are a very young team," head girls coach Mike Thompson said. "Although we wanted to finish higher in the standings, I was proud of the effort we put forth. We're only going to get better as the season progresses."
Both teams were slated to participate in the West Allis Hale Invitational on Saturday, but that meet was canceled. The squads will next take part in the Wisconsin Lutheran Invitational on April 20.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall baseball team nips New Berlin Eisenhower in regional thriller
- Whitnall baseball team upsets Muskego in regional title
- Baseball: Franklin pitching proves too strong for Whitnall in WIAA sectional semifinal contest
- Baseball: Fortman pitches Franklin past Greenfield in WIAA regional championship baseball game
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in regular season's final week
- Whitnall baseball team finishes 0-3 in Woodland Conference Tournament
- Whitnall's Thon compiles outstanding hitting record (1)
- Greenfield baseball team pulls out pair of one-run games in Woodland
- Whitnall baseball team finding more consistency, improving rapidly
- Greenfield softball star Matthias poses huge challenge to opposing hitters