Joe Koch takes over Greenfield head football coaching position
Coach boasts extensive experience
Success has followed Joe Koch through his 30 years of high school football coaching.
Koch's coaching road has led through strong tenures at Whitefish Bay Dominican, Oak Creek and Pius XI, and now it is taking him to Greenfield High School.
He accepted the head football position with the Hustlin' Hawks this week, taking over for Scott Otto, who resigned last month.
Both sides are happy with the arrangement.
"I am extremely excited to be a part of the Greenfield community as the new head football coach of the Hustlin' Hawks," Koch said in a statement. "We will build a team based on unity, discipline and the importance of every individual.
"Together, we will become greater than the sum of our individual parts. It is my vision that the Greenfield football program will be regarded as the very best in the state in helping young men achieve their highest potential."
Greenfield director of human resources Mark Kapocius said, "Coach Koch is not only a brilliant football mind, but an excellent motivator with a real passion for teaching student-athletes how to do things the right way."
Koch enjoyed his most success at Oak Creek, where he led the Knights to the WIAA Division 1 state championship game in 1997 and 1998. He also helped turn around the programs at Dominican and Pius XI.
Koch, who was inducted into the Wisconsin Football Coaches' Association Hall of Fame in 2013, has spent the previous few years as an assistant at another traditional power, Brookfield Central.
Greenfield principal Paul Thusius said the district interviewed a number of high-quality candidates but Koch stood out among the applicants.
- Greenfield boys relay team prevails in Pewaukee Invite
- Whitnall softball team wins in different ways, remains unbeaten at 13-0
- Improving Greenfield boys golf team claims fourth place in large Franklin Invitational
- Whitnall boys track and field team win own invite title
- Jack Miller resigns as Greenfield High School boys basketball coach (1)
- Whitnall girls claim team championship in own track invite
- Strong pitching helps keep Whitnall softball team unbeaten for young season
- Greenfield softball team posts five straight shutouts before loss to Westosha Central
- Whitnall's Bauer outduels Greenfield's Matthias in 1-0 softball victory
- Greenfield girls soccer team bounces back from two losses with shutout of West Allis Central