Greenfield's Tuyet Nguyen wins pair of events at Woodland Outdoor
Hawks standout also captures a second place
Tuyet Nguyen continued her fine season for Greenfield's girls track and field team.
The junior standout won two events at the Woodland Conference Outdoor Meet on May 20 at Whitnall High School and finished second in another.
She captured the long jump with 17 feet-41/2 inches and the triple jump at 36-31/2 to maintain her season-long success in those events.
Nguyen also came in second with 16.51 seconds in the 100-meter hurdles, trailing Jasmine Bickerstaff of Whitnall, who finished in 15.76.
Those three places gave her 28 points for half of Greenfield's total of 56 points, which was good enough for fifth place in the 13-team meet.
The leader for the Greenfield boys was senior Robert Hopeful, who won the triple jump with 43-0 and took second in the long jump at 21-43/4.
Hopeful's finishes sent his team on its way to 37 points, which put the Hawks ninth.
Madison Kohl placed second in the girls 300 hurdles (51.02) and third in the 400 dash (1 minute, 1.98 seconds).
Stephanie Van Wieringen also snared third place in the high jump (4-10).
For the boys, taking third were Casey Sabinash in the 1,600 run (4:28.88) and the 4x800-meter relay team of Dylan Kumbera, Stephen Lisiecki, Andy Sabinash and Casey Sabinash (8:25.75).
Keely Hanley came in fourth for the girls in the 3,200 run (12:00.76), while Casey Sabinash placed fifth in the boys 800 run (2:02.34).
The girls 4x100 relay unit of Julia Hyatt, Nguyen, Mariah Misko and Ashley Radtke came in sixth (52.26).
For the boys, Xavier Copeland took seventh in the 400 dash (52.66) and helped the 4x100 relay team, with Joey Badora, Hopeful and Eric Suminski, to eighth place (46.24).
The Greenfield teams took part in a WIAA Division 1 regional meet on May 27 at South Milwaukee, and qualifiers will compete in a sectional at Wisconsin Lutheran on Thursday, May 29.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall baseball team nips New Berlin Eisenhower in regional thriller
- Whitnall baseball team upsets Muskego in regional title
- Baseball: Franklin pitching proves too strong for Whitnall in WIAA sectional semifinal contest
- Baseball: Fortman pitches Franklin past Greenfield in WIAA regional championship baseball game
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in regular season's final week
- Whitnall baseball team finishes 0-3 in Woodland Conference Tournament
- Whitnall's Thon compiles outstanding hitting record (1)
- Greenfield baseball team pulls out pair of one-run games in Woodland
- Whitnall baseball team finding more consistency, improving rapidly
- Greenfield softball star Matthias poses huge challenge to opposing hitters