Greenfield wrestling team ends losing streak, then wins again
Hawks sweep Woodland Conference double dual
Greenfield - After ending a long losing streak on Jan. 9, the Greenfield wrestling team promptly began a winning streak.
The Hustlin' Hawks downed Pius XI, 60-21, in the first of a double dual meet at Cudahy High School. That victory snapped a 20-match losing string dating back to the start of the 2011-12 season.
They then completed the sweep by routing Cudahy/St. Francis, 54-22, in the nightcap.
Just for good measure, Greenfield added two more dual victories by going 2-3 at the South Milwaukee Duals on Saturday.
Head coach Chris Otto said his team is taking steady steps as it continues its rebuilding process.
"We continue to improve," Otto said, "but also continue to give up the pin and bonus points.
"We need to learn how to get out of bad positions and wrestle (the full) six minutes."
Eight pins vs. Pius
In the victory over Pius, pins were notched by Tyler Dorfner at 152 pounds in 1 minute, 42 seconds; Turner Panich at 160 (1:40), Tony Kurczewski at 170 (1:01), Matt Braatz at 195 (3:25), Anthony Rychlowski at heavyweight (4:28), Adam Zieman at 120 (1:57), Dylan Kumbera at 126 (2:53) and Tommy Friedbacher at 145 (38 seconds).
Taking forfeits were Chad Karges (182) and Malik Jaber (220).
The going was just as easy for the Hawks in the second dual against the combined Cudahy/St. Francis squad.
Earning pins were Panich (1:11), Jaber (3:24), Kumbera (1:33), Victor Castro at 132 (1:34) and Dorfner at 152 (1:28). Being awarded forfeits were Friedbacher, Kurczewski, Braatz and Rychlowski.
Dorfner, Panich lead way
At the South Milwaukee Duals, the Hawks beat Luxemburg-Casco on criteria after a 39-39 tie and Racine Park/St. Catherine's, 39-21.
Greenfield lost to South Milwaukee, 42-21; Janesville Craig, 57-15; and champion West Allis Central, 55-18.
Winners against Central were Friedbacher (pin in 4 minutes, 42 seconds), Dorfner (pin in 2:27) and Panich (pin in 4:50).
Dorfner and Panich both went 4-1 on the day to lead the way for Greenfield.
Next for the Hawks is the Homestead Invitational at 4 p.m. Friday.
They then welcome Wauwatosa for a Woodland Conference dual at 7 p.m. Jan. 23.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Football: Germantown overwhelms Greenfield in Koch's debut
- Whitnall football team looks to bounce back in 2014 with new coach
- Greenfield football team shooting for WIAA playoff spot under Joe Koch
- Joe Koch takes program-building talents to new challenge at Greenfield
- Whitnall Falcons struggled with consistency in 2014 baseball season
- Library Recommendations: August 7
- Greenfield baseball season ended by Woodland rival West in regional
- Baseball: Franklin finally finds its bats, collects big hits in rout of Whitnall
- Whitnall closes out regular baseball season with victory over Lions