Greenfield - With three players in double digits in scoring and a fourth just missing that level, the Greenfield girls basketball team won its first Woodland Conference game of the season on Jan. 8.
The Hustlin' Hawks downed St. Francis, 65-52, to improve their conference mark to 1-9 and their overall mark to 2-9.
Tuyet Nguyen scored 14 points to lead the Hawks, while Dana Schwab and Mallory Kleczka each added 12 points and Erika Deubig nine points.
A total of nine players got in the scorebook for Greenfield, which jumped in front 16-9 after one quarter and 34-22 at the half.
The Hawks could not follow up on that victory in their next game, however, as they dropped a 43-35 decision to Brown Deer on Friday night.
Greenfield had a bad start in that one, trailing 15-4 after the first period and 26-13 at the half. An 18-point fourth period made things interesting.
Kleczka tallied 18 points and Schwab nine to pace the Hawks.
In its next contest, Greenfield will face St. Francis again at home at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 22.
-- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football battle of first-year coaches goes to Eisenhower over Whitnall
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Football: Germantown overwhelms Greenfield in Koch's debut
- Whitnall football team looks to bounce back in 2014 with new coach
- Greenfield football team shooting for WIAA playoff spot under Joe Koch
- Joe Koch takes program-building talents to new challenge at Greenfield
- Whitnall Falcons struggled with consistency in 2014 baseball season
- Library Recommendations: August 7
- Greenfield baseball season ended by Woodland rival West in regional
- Baseball: Franklin finally finds its bats, collects big hits in rout of Whitnall