Once again, the Greenfield/Greendale boys swimming team will have an impressive presence at the WIAA Division 1 State Meet.
The Panther-Hawks sent 10 entries, seven individuals and three relays, to state. They will compete on Saturday at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Natatorium. Diving will begin at 10 a.m. and swimming at 3 p.m.
What's more, the team put itself in a good position in a number of events at state.
"We qualified more individuals and relays for the championship heats (at state) than any other team in the sectional," said head coach Dale Schrank. "We were able to get six individual swims and two relays to the (championship heats)."
The Panther-Hawks earned those state berths through their performances in a sectional meet at home last Saturday.
Greenfield/Greendale tallied 284 points for fourth place as a team in the sectional, which was won by Muskego (349).
Senior Ross Rybakowicz and junior Rick Perez both won two events at the sectional.
Rybakowicz claimed the 200-yard individual medley at 1 minute, 53.82 seconds and the 100 breaststroke with 58.72 seconds, and both of his swims were pool records.
Perez captured the 100 butterfly in 52.03 and the 100 backstroke with 51.05, which breaks his own pool record and gives him the top seed for the state meet.
Perez and Rybakowicz both swam on the first-place 200 medley relay team, along with seniors Joe Hannah and Adam Fleischhacker, which actually tied Muskego for the victory at 1:38.08.
The 200 freestyle relay team of Rybakowicz, senior Shawn Lucchesi, Fleischhacker and junior Andrew Semancik also won with a pool-record, 1:28.78.
"What is really impressive about the relays is that each of the two sprint relays were only 75 percent loaded," Schrank said. "Once we restructure the relays, they will put us in a much better position to take a run at a state championship."
Lucchesi gets two seconds
Lucchesi qualified for the 200 freestyle at 1:45.16 and the 100 butterfly in 52.63. He finished second at the sectional in both events.
Fleischhacker advanced in the 50 freestyle by taking third with 22.53, and the 400 freestyle unit of Perez, Lucchesi, Fleischhacker and sophomore Ricky Davis also qualified with third place at 3:17.37.
Davis placed fifth in the 200 individual medley (2:09.83) to round out the Panther-Hawks' top-eight places, but that time did not qualify for state.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Reed, Bickerstaff claim seconds for Whitnall at Woodland Conference Outdoor meet
- Greendale boys golf team brings home Woodland Conference crown
- Whitnall boys tennis team takes home pair of titles from Woodland tournament
- Greenfield's Nguyen, Kohl win events at Woodland Conference Outdoor meet
- Whitnall's Reed earns three top-four finishes at Woodland Conference Outdoor meet
- Germantown girls track team smashes records, set for NSC
- Greenfield's Larry Sayles' decision to become athletic trainer opened up his world
- Greenfield softball team clinches Woodland Conference East Division crown
- Whitnall softball team shows resiliency while battling injuries
- Nguyen leads Greenfield girls track and field team at Homestead Invitational