Greenfield baseball team rallies past Whitnall with late-inning surge
Hawks struggle in two other contests
Heading into the bottom of the sixth inning on June 9, the Greenfield baseball team was in danger of seeing its five-game winning streak snapped.
The Hustlin' Hawks trailed rival Whitnall 3-0 with just two at-bats remaining against Tyler Regeth.
Greenfield rallied, though, with three runs to tie the game. Parker Rome set up the inning with a double off the wall; then Richard Thomas singled in one run, and Ben Fularczyk drove in another with a sacrifice fly.
The Hawks then came up with one in the bottom of the seventh. KeAndre Miller walked, bolted all the way to third on a groundout by Bryce Laverdure and scored on a shortstop error.
The base running speed displayed by Miller in going from first to third on the key play is typical of the Hawks this season.
"We have a lot of speed on this team," said coach Lee Kleszczynski.
Rome's double was one of only five hits off Regeth, but Greenfield starter Fularczyk was strong too, working the full seven innings and allowing four hits and no walks with three strikeouts.
The Hawks and Whitnall ended up splitting a close two-game series this season, as Whitnall had won the first meeting 5-4.
Greenfield then was handed a 2-1 loss by red-hot Greendale on June 12 as Thomas gave up five hits and struck out five but also walked seven, including one that drove in the winning run.
The Hawks only had two hits off Ty Ramirez.
Things went downhill for the Hawks the next night as they fell 5-1 to New Berlin West. Kleszczynski said his team made plenty of mental errors, as well as left eight runners in scoring position.
Miller went 2-for-3 for Greenfield, which had just five hits.
"We just didn't have good baseball smarts in that game," Kleszczynski said. "We've been playing good baseball this season, and we hope not to look at that game as typical."
Greenfield visits Wauwatosa West at 5 p.m. Thursday, June 19, and then plays in the first round of a wood bat tournament at South Milwaukee and Sheridan Park on Saturday, June 21.
The Hawks then have a two-game set against St. Francis early next week, hosting the Mariners on Monday, June 23, and visiting them at Greene Park on Tuesday, June 24. Both games are at 5 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football battle of first-year coaches goes to Eisenhower over Whitnall
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Football: Germantown overwhelms Greenfield in Koch's debut
- Whitnall football team looks to bounce back in 2014 with new coach
- Greenfield football team shooting for WIAA playoff spot under Joe Koch
- Joe Koch takes program-building talents to new challenge at Greenfield
- Whitnall Falcons struggled with consistency in 2014 baseball season
- Library Recommendations: August 7
- Greenfield baseball season ended by Woodland rival West in regional
- Baseball: Franklin finally finds its bats, collects big hits in rout of Whitnall