Greenfield baseball season ended by Woodland rival West in regional
Hawks were hitting in some tough luck
Even though the Greenfield baseball team collected nine hits, the Hustlin' Hawks still fell to Woodland Conference rival New Berlin West 8-3 in a WIAA regional game July 15.
One of the reasons was that all nine hits were singles, and another factor was that several other hard-hit balls were turned into tough outs by the Vikings.
"With runners on, we hit the ball right at them," said head coach Lee Kleszczynski. "I think they turned three double plays. We put the ball in play, though; we only had one strikeout."
The loss ended Greenfield's season at 14-15, and the Hawks had expected more after claiming the Woodland East Division crown this season, ending an 18-year title drought.
"This was a quick way to end the season," Kleszczynski said. "We were able to get a home game in the tournament, but New Berlin West spoiled the party."
The Vikings, who had struggled for much of this season, tallied once in the first inning and twice in the third to take an early lead.
They broke the game open with four runs in the top of the sixth inning for a 7-0 advantage.
Greenfield scored three times in its half of the sixth inning, keyed by a two-run single from Bryce Laverdure, to come within range at 7-3 but could get no closer.
Kyle Holmes and KeAndre Miller both went 2-for-3 and Zach Szalacinski 2-for-4 for the Hawks. For West, leadoff hitter Allen Peil was 4-for-5 with three runs batted in on the day.
Richard Thomas and Ben Fularczyk combined to allow 14 hits against West, which went on to lose to Muskego 8-0 on July 18 in a regional title game.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall boys basketball team notches fifth victory in six games
- Whitnall girls basketball team begins to hit its stride, wins twice
- Whitnall co-op wrestlers top Tosa, take control of Woodland race
- Whitnall boys basketball team starts to put pieces together
- Greenfield girls basketball team extends its winning streak to six
- Greenfield girls basketball team claims West Allis Hale tourney crown
- Greenfield co-op swimmers capture top-six spots in large invites
- Teenage Greenfield race car driver sweeps three points championships
- Greenfield wrestlers finish 2-3 against tough competition at Mukwonago
- Whitnall girls basketball team awakens in time to down Elkhorn