The Falcons had their string of top-10 finishes in WIAA Division 2 state meet snapped after six in a row, but the Falcons should not be too disappointed. They placed 11th among 31 schools at the University of Wisconsiun Natatorium in Madison on Feb. 20, and that is pretty good.
Whitnall totaled 95 points. McFarland won with 332, well ahead of runner-up Whitefish Bay's 210.
Senior Doug Bell turned in the top individual finish, placing eighth in the 50-yard freestyle in 22.29 seconds. Ashwaubenon senior Jake Pelishek won in 21.26.
The Falcons' three relays each placed eighth or better.
The 400 free group of senior Phil Fons, freshman Nick Ratkowski, senior Tyler LeRoy and Bell placed fifth in 3 minutes, 19.71 seconds. McFarland won in a state record 3:07.84.
The 200 free quartet of senior Nick Dellis, LeRoy, Fons and Bell touched in 1:30.74. McFarland won in 1:27.96.
The 200 medley foursome of junior Curtis Wigington, Fons, LeRoy and Bell finished eighth in 1:42.45. McFarland also won that in 1:37.61.
Wigington placed 13th in the 100 breaststroke (1:04.96). Junior Alex Riegert of Delavan-Darien won in 57.93.
LeRoy finished 13th in the 100 free (49.29). Senior Eric Emerson of River Falls won in 47.73. Fons was disqualified in the event.
- Jerry Karpowicz,
Senior Alex Nesbit finished 19th in the diving semifinals in the WIAA Division 1 state meet Feb. 21 at Madison.
Nesbit, West Allis' lone representative at state, posted a 142.1 score in the preliminaries and 203.9 in the semifinals. He did not advance to the 16-man finals.
- John Rech, Staff Writer
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall girls basketball have some questions to answer
- Free throws help Whitnall boys basketball clinch win
- Greenfield native makes wrestling Hall of Fame
- Charles scores state swim point for Greenfield girls
- Whitnall girls duo place at state diving
- Greenfield boys face some rebuilding in basketball
- Whitnall boys basketball will expand offense
- Whitnall basketball to expand offense in 2013-14
- Doherty, Cieszynski place at state diving
- Whitnall divers heading to Madison for state