Whitnall baseball team drops two of three in Woodland Conference play
Whitnall splits with division rival
Pitching was outstanding for both teams as Whitnall and Shorewood split a two-game series in baseball last week.
The Falcons prevailed 1-0 on June 30 over the Greyhounds in a contest that ended after five innings due to the thunderstorms that evening.
Jon Drew allowed just one hit in the five innings while striking out three and walking none.
Ty Greco had one hit and drove in the lone run of the game with a sacrifice fly. David Gaertner went 2-for-2 and scored the run.
One night later, the Falcons dropped a 2-1 decision to Shorewood in eight innings as Tyler Regeth took the loss despite allowing just single runs in the first and eighth frames.
Whitnall tallied in the fifth inning on a suicide squeeze bunt by Regeth that brought home Josh Daniels.
"We had a few opportunities to score early but just could not capitalize," said coach Ben Krey.
The Falcons then fell 8-2 to New Berlin West on July 3 as the Vikings rapped out 16 hits.
Whitnall's frustration on offense was summed up by one sequence. Regeth walked, and Mitch Brault executed a hit-and-run play to put runners at first and third; but Gaertner lined into a double play, and Josh Stark lined out to end the inning.
Whitnall came into this week at 8-9 in the Woodland Conference and 9-14 overall.
The Falcons welcome New Berlin Eisenhower at 5 p.m. Thursday, July 10, and then await WIAA tournament action beginning Tuesday, July 15.
- Improving Greenfield boys golf team claims fourth place in large Franklin Invitational
- Whitnall boys track and field team win own invite title
- Jack Miller resigns as Greenfield High School boys basketball coach (1)
- Whitnall girls claim team championship in own track invite
- Strong pitching helps keep Whitnall softball team unbeaten for young season
- Greenfield softball team posts five straight shutouts before loss to Westosha Central
- Whitnall's Bauer outduels Greenfield's Matthias in 1-0 softball victory
- Greenfield girls soccer team bounces back from two losses with shutout of West Allis Central
- Whitnall girls track team soars to fourth place in Woodland Conference Indoor Meet
- Herro, Taylor led Whitnall boys basketball team's march to state