Whitnall baseball team drops two of three in Woodland Conference play
Whitnall splits with division rival
Pitching was outstanding for both teams as Whitnall and Shorewood split a two-game series in baseball last week.
The Falcons prevailed 1-0 on June 30 over the Greyhounds in a contest that ended after five innings due to the thunderstorms that evening.
Jon Drew allowed just one hit in the five innings while striking out three and walking none.
Ty Greco had one hit and drove in the lone run of the game with a sacrifice fly. David Gaertner went 2-for-2 and scored the run.
One night later, the Falcons dropped a 2-1 decision to Shorewood in eight innings as Tyler Regeth took the loss despite allowing just single runs in the first and eighth frames.
Whitnall tallied in the fifth inning on a suicide squeeze bunt by Regeth that brought home Josh Daniels.
"We had a few opportunities to score early but just could not capitalize," said coach Ben Krey.
The Falcons then fell 8-2 to New Berlin West on July 3 as the Vikings rapped out 16 hits.
Whitnall's frustration on offense was summed up by one sequence. Regeth walked, and Mitch Brault executed a hit-and-run play to put runners at first and third; but Gaertner lined into a double play, and Josh Stark lined out to end the inning.
Whitnall came into this week at 8-9 in the Woodland Conference and 9-14 overall.
The Falcons welcome New Berlin Eisenhower at 5 p.m. Thursday, July 10, and then await WIAA tournament action beginning Tuesday, July 15.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Tre'Vaughn Craig fills gap and Greenfield football holds on to down Whitnall
- Greenfield football team pulls away from Cudahy to post Woodland Conference victory
- Offense helps Whitnall boys soccer team bolt to 9-1-1 season record
- Whitnall football team downs Shorewood/Messmer, clinches WIAA playoff berth
- Whitnall girls volleyball team completes season sweep of Woodland East rivals
- Greenfield football team handed first loss of season by Brown Deer
- Whitnall football team continues strong run through Woodland East Division
- Whitnall's Lauren Lent captures second straight world powerlifting championship
- Whitnall football team continues surge by routing Brown Deer
- Football: Greenfield football team grabs share of first place in Woodland Conference East Division