Joe Koch takes over Greenfield head football coaching position
Coach boasts extensive experience
Success has followed Joe Koch through his 30 years of high school football coaching.
Koch's coaching road has led through strong tenures at Whitefish Bay Dominican, Oak Creek and Pius XI, and now it is taking him to Greenfield High School.
He accepted the head football position with the Hustlin' Hawks this week, taking over for Scott Otto, who resigned last month.
Both sides are happy with the arrangement.
"I am extremely excited to be a part of the Greenfield community as the new head football coach of the Hustlin' Hawks," Koch said in a statement. "We will build a team based on unity, discipline and the importance of every individual.
"Together, we will become greater than the sum of our individual parts. It is my vision that the Greenfield football program will be regarded as the very best in the state in helping young men achieve their highest potential."
Greenfield director of human resources Mark Kapocius said, "Coach Koch is not only a brilliant football mind, but an excellent motivator with a real passion for teaching student-athletes how to do things the right way."
Koch enjoyed his most success at Oak Creek, where he led the Knights to the WIAA Division 1 state championship game in 1997 and 1998. He also helped turn around the programs at Dominican and Pius XI.
Koch, who was inducted into the Wisconsin Football Coaches' Association Hall of Fame in 2013, has spent the previous few years as an assistant at another traditional power, Brookfield Central.
Greenfield principal Paul Thusius said the district interviewed a number of high-quality candidates but Koch stood out among the applicants.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall baseball team nips New Berlin Eisenhower in regional thriller
- Whitnall baseball team upsets Muskego in regional title
- Baseball: Franklin pitching proves too strong for Whitnall in WIAA sectional semifinal contest
- Baseball: Fortman pitches Franklin past Greenfield in WIAA regional championship baseball game
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in regular season's final week
- Whitnall baseball team finishes 0-3 in Woodland Conference Tournament
- Whitnall's Thon compiles outstanding hitting record (1)
- Greenfield baseball team pulls out pair of one-run games in Woodland
- Whitnall baseball team finding more consistency, improving rapidly
- Greenfield softball star Matthias poses huge challenge to opposing hitters