Whitnall High School has hired former Cumberland High School football coach Jared McGranahan to lead the Falcons football program.
McGranahan's team went 5-5 last year and qualified for the WIAA Division 5 playoffs. Cumberland is located in the northwest part of the state, roughly 85 miles northeast of Minneapolis. It was his only season at Cumberland.
“Thanks to our great student-athletes and our first-class football facilities, we had a lot of interest in our head football coaching position, and we are confident we found a great coach in Coach McGranahan,” Whitnall athletics and activities director Scott Bruening said in a school release.
McGranahan replaces Jeff Wallack, who resigned in February after two seasons. Wallack's teams went 7-11 overall and reached the WIAA playoffs once.
McGranahan has also served as running backs and safeties coach at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville for four years and was an assistant football coach at Cuba City in 2009, an assistant boys basketball coach at Darlington for one season and a youth football coach in Darlington from 2006-08. McGranahan himself graduated from Darlington in 2003.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Returning starters look to help Whitnall boys basketball team make strides
- Sierra Grubor, Kendall Stribling lead Whitnall girls basketball team over Elkhorn in season debut
- Balanced attack boosts Greenfield girls basketball team past Racine Park in opener
- Greenfield Junior Hawks post sterling 19-3-1 record in football
- Greenfield girls basketball team will have a new look in 2015-16 season
- Greenfield native George Rajak honing hockey skills in US Premier League
- Doherty, Beckman earn fifth places for Whitnall at state swimming, diving meet
- Large group of returnees gives Whitnall girls basketball team hope for season
- Girls swimming: Greenfield's Claudia Kirkpatrick headed to state swimming
- Girls swimming: McElvain leads eight Whitnall entries to state swimming meet