Senior Brooke Charles made a bit of Greenfield girls swimming history on Saturday at the WIAA Division 1 State Meet in Madison.
Charles finished 16th in the 100-yard breaststroke with 1 minute, 8.86 seconds to earn the first Division 1 state point ever for the Hustlin' Hawks.
"When Greenfield was in Division 2," head coach Dale Schrank explained, "there were a number of swimmers who had advanced into the scoring in a number of different events.
"After being moved to Division 1, where qualifying is much harder, Greenfield had been shut out for over 10 years. Hopefully, we will now make this the pattern, rather than the exception."
Charles' teammate, freshman Claudia Kirkpatrick, narrowly missed scoring points, finishing 18th with 1:09.26 in the same event.
"She missed by less than 0.3 seconds," Schrank continued. "We are confident that by next season, Claudia could not only break into the scoring but might be looking forward to challenging for a spot on the podium as well."
The one point from Charles put the Hawks into a tie for 39th place at the state meet, which was won by Waukesha South/Mukwonago with 337 points.
The Hawks improved their fortunes under Schrank in the 2013 season, placing in the upper portion of several invitationals, winning a couple of Woodland Conference duals and finishing fifth in the Woodland Meet.
"All things being considered, I think it has been a great start to turning the Greenfield program around," said Schrank, who will now turn his attentions toward the highly-successful Greenfield/Greendale boys team. "I am looking forward to the next season with the girls at Greenfield."
- Greenfield boys relay team prevails in Pewaukee Invite
- Whitnall softball team wins in different ways, remains unbeaten at 13-0
- Improving Greenfield boys golf team claims fourth place in large Franklin Invitational
- Whitnall boys track and field team win own invite title
- Jack Miller resigns as Greenfield High School boys basketball coach (1)
- Whitnall girls claim team championship in own track invite
- Strong pitching helps keep Whitnall softball team unbeaten for young season
- Greenfield softball team posts five straight shutouts before loss to Westosha Central
- Whitnall's Bauer outduels Greenfield's Matthias in 1-0 softball victory
- Greenfield girls soccer team bounces back from two losses with shutout of West Allis Central