Senior Brooke Charles made a bit of Greenfield girls swimming history on Saturday at the WIAA Division 1 State Meet in Madison.
Charles finished 16th in the 100-yard breaststroke with 1 minute, 8.86 seconds to earn the first Division 1 state point ever for the Hustlin' Hawks.
"When Greenfield was in Division 2," head coach Dale Schrank explained, "there were a number of swimmers who had advanced into the scoring in a number of different events.
"After being moved to Division 1, where qualifying is much harder, Greenfield had been shut out for over 10 years. Hopefully, we will now make this the pattern, rather than the exception."
Charles' teammate, freshman Claudia Kirkpatrick, narrowly missed scoring points, finishing 18th with 1:09.26 in the same event.
"She missed by less than 0.3 seconds," Schrank continued. "We are confident that by next season, Claudia could not only break into the scoring but might be looking forward to challenging for a spot on the podium as well."
The one point from Charles put the Hawks into a tie for 39th place at the state meet, which was won by Waukesha South/Mukwonago with 337 points.
The Hawks improved their fortunes under Schrank in the 2013 season, placing in the upper portion of several invitationals, winning a couple of Woodland Conference duals and finishing fifth in the Woodland Meet.
"All things being considered, I think it has been a great start to turning the Greenfield program around," said Schrank, who will now turn his attentions toward the highly-successful Greenfield/Greendale boys team. "I am looking forward to the next season with the girls at Greenfield."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield baseball season ended by Woodland rival West in regional
- Baseball: Franklin finally finds its bats, collects big hits in rout of Whitnall
- Whitnall closes out regular baseball season with victory over Lions
- Greenfield wins baseball division title, ends championship drought
- Whitnall baseball team drops two of three in Woodland Conference play
- Whitnall earns split with Brown Deer, then runs into strong pitching
- Greenfield baseball team falls to SWCHA in non-conference contest
- Greenfield's Bella Matthias put up incredible numbers in 2014 season
- Liz Thon helps Whitnall softball team become a real power in 2014
- Whitnall girls basketball team achieves high state academic honor