Senior Brooke Charles made a bit of Greenfield girls swimming history on Saturday at the WIAA Division 1 State Meet in Madison.
Charles finished 16th in the 100-yard breaststroke with 1 minute, 8.86 seconds to earn the first Division 1 state point ever for the Hustlin' Hawks.
"When Greenfield was in Division 2," head coach Dale Schrank explained, "there were a number of swimmers who had advanced into the scoring in a number of different events.
"After being moved to Division 1, where qualifying is much harder, Greenfield had been shut out for over 10 years. Hopefully, we will now make this the pattern, rather than the exception."
Charles' teammate, freshman Claudia Kirkpatrick, narrowly missed scoring points, finishing 18th with 1:09.26 in the same event.
"She missed by less than 0.3 seconds," Schrank continued. "We are confident that by next season, Claudia could not only break into the scoring but might be looking forward to challenging for a spot on the podium as well."
The one point from Charles put the Hawks into a tie for 39th place at the state meet, which was won by Waukesha South/Mukwonago with 337 points.
The Hawks improved their fortunes under Schrank in the 2013 season, placing in the upper portion of several invitationals, winning a couple of Woodland Conference duals and finishing fifth in the Woodland Meet.
"All things being considered, I think it has been a great start to turning the Greenfield program around," said Schrank, who will now turn his attentions toward the highly-successful Greenfield/Greendale boys team. "I am looking forward to the next season with the girls at Greenfield."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall football team handed yet another tough defeat by Rockets
- Ezekial Banks' long run boosts Greenfield football team past Messwood
- Football: Banks delivers big run as Greenfield rallies
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Whitnall's Lauren Lent captures world championship in powerlifting
- Whitnall football team comes up just short once again in WC opener
- Trent Lower hired as new athletic director at Greenfield High School
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Football battle of first-year coaches goes to Eisenhower over Whitnall
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29