Mentkowski paces Whitnall boys track at outdoor meet
Copeland earns fifth for Greenfield in dash
Sam Mentkowski of Whitnall earned the highest spot for area boys in the Woodland Conference Outdoor track and field meet on May 13 at Brown Deer, taking second in the 400-meter dash at 52.08 seconds.
Mentkowski also ran fifth in the 200-meter dash with 23.47 seconds to help the Falcons tally 37 points for sixth place in the meet, which was won by New Berlin West with 125 points.
In addition, he ran on the 1,600 relay team with Mike Grim, Joe Alexopolus and Paul Howard, which took third in 3 minutes, 30.9 seconds.
The Falcons also received fourth places from Austin Hurst in the high jump (5 feet 8 inches) and Eric Ratkowski in the discus (112-8).
Greenfield earned a trio of fifth places: Xavier Copeland in the 400 dash (53.09), Kyle Schahczinski in the 300 hurdles (42.48) and the 3,200 relay squad of Andy Sabinash, Casey Sabinash, Quinton Kufahl and Dylan Kumbera (8:43.06).
The Hustlin' Hawks finished with 23 points for 11th place in the 13-team field.
"The team competed well and will now look forward to competing at an even higher level in the (WIAA Division 1) regional and sectional this week," Greenfield head coach Adam Tiedt said.
Greenfield also claimed three sixth places, with those from Robert Hopeful in the triple jump (40 feet, 7 3/4 inches), the 800 relay unit of Mike Kaifesh, Nick Walloch, Stephen Lisiecki and Jon Kaifesh (1:39.2) and the 400 relay group of Mike Kaifesh, Lisiecki, Walloch and Alex Ljubic (47.29).
For Whitnall, Grim placed sixth in the 200 dash (23.73).
Finishing seventh were Skylar Czaplewski of Whitnall in the 300 hurdles (44.68), Ljubic of Greenfield in the discus (110-6) and the Whitnall 800 relay unit of Andy Karwoski, Max Anderer, Zabien Porter and Patrick Wyrowski (1:40.21).
Capturing eighth for Whitnall were Alexopolus in the 400 dash (54.03) and Tyler Centers in the 3,200 run (10:40.14).
- Clutch hitting helps Whitnall baseball team complete three-game Woodland sweep
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in 0-3 week
- Big innings taking Greenfield baseball team out of games this season
- Whitnall baseball team puts together good week until pair of losses to Pius XI
- Whitnall baseball team still searching for consistency
- John Quinlan named new head football coach at Whitnall High School
- Inexperience hurting Greenfield baseball team
- Football: Shane Covington named new head football coach at Greenfield High School
- McGranahan leaves Whitnall football coaching job to take Kenosha Tremper position
- Whitnall's Bickerstaff moves on to state track and field meet in hurdles race