Whitnall boys basketball team slips past Shorewood
Falcons also rout Cudahy in Woodland Conference action
Greenfield - At this early stage of the basketball season, the Whitnall boys team is still trying to put all of its pieces together.
"We are still searching for our identity," head coach Steve Kujawa said. "Our challenge is to figure out what type of a team we will be. We just have to put together some wins one at a time."
The Falcons put two victories together last week, tipping Shorewood, 72-68, on Friday and routing Cudahy, 77-35, on Dec. 4.
The Greyhounds, though, made things tough on Whitnall in the Friday contest.
The Falcons were up by 15 points in the third quarter before Shorewood went on an 18-4 run to trim the deficit to just one point.
That burst was fueled by Whitnall turnovers, Kujawa said.
"We showed our resiliency in the fourth quarter, though," the coach said.
Sam Mentkowski and Brent Sluka both hit two free throws in the final minutes to clinch the hard-fought victory, which boosted the Falcons to 3-2 in the Woodland Conference East Division and 4-3 overall.
"The free throws helped us stem the tide and kept us in front," Kujawa said. "Give our kids credit. Shorewood made a run and we stood our ground."
Danny Weymier led Whitnall with 19 points, while Mitch Brault added 12 and AJ Hurst totaled 11. Weymier added six assists, while Nathan Schaefer chipped in with five, and Hurst also had four blocked shots.
Hurst also led the way in scoring against Cudahy with 13 points. Schaefer added 11, Brault and Weymier nine apiece and Sluka eight as 11 players scored.
Whitnall was up 23-7 after one quarter and 43-22 at the half.
The Falcons welcome St. Francis at 7:30 p.m. Friday, then host New Berlin West at the same time Dec. 18.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield wrestlers build early lead, tie powerful Pewaukee for Woodland Conference crown
- Greenfield combined swimming team soars to second in Woodland Conference Meet
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers pull themselves off mat, top New Berlin in Woodland Conference dual
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers surge to Kenosha Bradford Invitational crown
- Shooting determines fate of Whitnall girls basketball team in pair of games
- Whitnall boys shake off slow start, go on to hammer South Milwaukee in Woodland Conference
- Whitnall boys basketball team sweeps three foes, wins twice in Woodland Conference
- Victory over rival, Plymouth Invitational crown highlight big week for Greenfield wrestlers
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers snare sixth in strong Marquette Invitational
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers come away with third place at Manawa Invitational