Greenfield - The hot start for the Whitnall girls basketball team continued last week with victories of 41-37 over Shorewood on Friday night and 42-33 over Cudahy on Dec. 4.
The Falcons improved to 4-0 in the Woodland Conference East Division and 5-1 overall. Their lone loss was a six-point decision at the hands of Waukesha South on Nov. 24.
The game against pesky Shorewood went into overtime, and it was still tied at 37-37 with 20 seconds left in the extra session. Rachael Shulta and Ashley Markowiak both netted a pair of free throws to finally seal the victory.
Markowiak finished with a team-high 19 points, while Shulta totaled seven points. Jackie Gruszka led the Falcons in rebounding with 10.
"We were down early and still trailed at halftime," head coach Keith Larson said. "The game went back and forth after that. It was a tough game. We played hard but not real well. Our shooting percentage was low.
"When you don't have a good game and still win, though, you have to be happy."
Against Cudahy on Dec. 4, the Falcons took control early, outscoring their foe 13-2 in the first quarter. They were up 22-11 at the half, then played the Packers evenly in the second half.
Shulta tallied 15 points to lead the way, while Markowiak put in 14 and Candace Pollock nine.
Whitnall next visits St. Francis at 7:30 p.m. this Friday, then faces a stern test at 7:30 next Tuesday, Dec. 18, at New Berlin West, which came into this week at 4-1.
The Falcons close the pre-break portion of the schedule at Pius XI at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 21. The Lady Popes are as strong as ever and own a victory over New Berlin Eisenhower this season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall boys basketball team notches fifth victory in six games
- Whitnall girls basketball team begins to hit its stride, wins twice
- Whitnall co-op wrestlers top Tosa, take control of Woodland race
- Whitnall boys basketball team starts to put pieces together
- Greenfield girls basketball team extends its winning streak to six
- Greenfield girls basketball team claims West Allis Hale tourney crown
- Greenfield co-op swimmers capture top-six spots in large invites
- Teenage Greenfield race car driver sweeps three points championships
- Greenfield wrestlers finish 2-3 against tough competition at Mukwonago
- Whitnall girls basketball team awakens in time to down Elkhorn