Greenfield - The hot start for the Whitnall girls basketball team continued last week with victories of 41-37 over Shorewood on Friday night and 42-33 over Cudahy on Dec. 4.
The Falcons improved to 4-0 in the Woodland Conference East Division and 5-1 overall. Their lone loss was a six-point decision at the hands of Waukesha South on Nov. 24.
The game against pesky Shorewood went into overtime, and it was still tied at 37-37 with 20 seconds left in the extra session. Rachael Shulta and Ashley Markowiak both netted a pair of free throws to finally seal the victory.
Markowiak finished with a team-high 19 points, while Shulta totaled seven points. Jackie Gruszka led the Falcons in rebounding with 10.
"We were down early and still trailed at halftime," head coach Keith Larson said. "The game went back and forth after that. It was a tough game. We played hard but not real well. Our shooting percentage was low.
"When you don't have a good game and still win, though, you have to be happy."
Against Cudahy on Dec. 4, the Falcons took control early, outscoring their foe 13-2 in the first quarter. They were up 22-11 at the half, then played the Packers evenly in the second half.
Shulta tallied 15 points to lead the way, while Markowiak put in 14 and Candace Pollock nine.
Whitnall next visits St. Francis at 7:30 p.m. this Friday, then faces a stern test at 7:30 next Tuesday, Dec. 18, at New Berlin West, which came into this week at 4-1.
The Falcons close the pre-break portion of the schedule at Pius XI at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 21. The Lady Popes are as strong as ever and own a victory over New Berlin Eisenhower this season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Tre'Vaughn Craig fills gap and Greenfield football holds on to down Whitnall
- Greenfield football team pulls away from Cudahy to post Woodland Conference victory
- Offense helps Whitnall boys soccer team bolt to 9-1-1 season record
- Whitnall football team downs Shorewood/Messmer, clinches WIAA playoff berth
- Whitnall girls volleyball team completes season sweep of Woodland East rivals
- Greenfield football team handed first loss of season by Brown Deer
- Whitnall football team continues strong run through Woodland East Division
- Whitnall's Lauren Lent captures second straight world powerlifting championship
- Whitnall football team continues surge by routing Brown Deer
- Football: Greenfield football team grabs share of first place in Woodland Conference East Division