Greenfield - The hot start for the Whitnall girls basketball team continued last week with victories of 41-37 over Shorewood on Friday night and 42-33 over Cudahy on Dec. 4.
The Falcons improved to 4-0 in the Woodland Conference East Division and 5-1 overall. Their lone loss was a six-point decision at the hands of Waukesha South on Nov. 24.
The game against pesky Shorewood went into overtime, and it was still tied at 37-37 with 20 seconds left in the extra session. Rachael Shulta and Ashley Markowiak both netted a pair of free throws to finally seal the victory.
Markowiak finished with a team-high 19 points, while Shulta totaled seven points. Jackie Gruszka led the Falcons in rebounding with 10.
"We were down early and still trailed at halftime," head coach Keith Larson said. "The game went back and forth after that. It was a tough game. We played hard but not real well. Our shooting percentage was low.
"When you don't have a good game and still win, though, you have to be happy."
Against Cudahy on Dec. 4, the Falcons took control early, outscoring their foe 13-2 in the first quarter. They were up 22-11 at the half, then played the Packers evenly in the second half.
Shulta tallied 15 points to lead the way, while Markowiak put in 14 and Candace Pollock nine.
Whitnall next visits St. Francis at 7:30 p.m. this Friday, then faces a stern test at 7:30 next Tuesday, Dec. 18, at New Berlin West, which came into this week at 4-1.
The Falcons close the pre-break portion of the schedule at Pius XI at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 21. The Lady Popes are as strong as ever and own a victory over New Berlin Eisenhower this season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Greenfield secures playoff spot, edges Tosa West
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Joey Schauer keeps on scoring, assisting for Whitnall boys soccer team
- Missed scoring opportunities keep haunting Greenfield football team
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Football: Greenfield holds on to down Whitnall in neighborhood football battle
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7
- Local woman reaches the heights in state skeetshooting tournament
- Whitnall breaks through for first football victory of 2014 season
- Greenfield falls just short of upsetting Brown Deer in football game