Greenfield - The hot start for the Whitnall girls basketball team continued last week with victories of 41-37 over Shorewood on Friday night and 42-33 over Cudahy on Dec. 4.
The Falcons improved to 4-0 in the Woodland Conference East Division and 5-1 overall. Their lone loss was a six-point decision at the hands of Waukesha South on Nov. 24.
The game against pesky Shorewood went into overtime, and it was still tied at 37-37 with 20 seconds left in the extra session. Rachael Shulta and Ashley Markowiak both netted a pair of free throws to finally seal the victory.
Markowiak finished with a team-high 19 points, while Shulta totaled seven points. Jackie Gruszka led the Falcons in rebounding with 10.
"We were down early and still trailed at halftime," head coach Keith Larson said. "The game went back and forth after that. It was a tough game. We played hard but not real well. Our shooting percentage was low.
"When you don't have a good game and still win, though, you have to be happy."
Against Cudahy on Dec. 4, the Falcons took control early, outscoring their foe 13-2 in the first quarter. They were up 22-11 at the half, then played the Packers evenly in the second half.
Shulta tallied 15 points to lead the way, while Markowiak put in 14 and Candace Pollock nine.
Whitnall next visits St. Francis at 7:30 p.m. this Friday, then faces a stern test at 7:30 next Tuesday, Dec. 18, at New Berlin West, which came into this week at 4-1.
The Falcons close the pre-break portion of the schedule at Pius XI at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 21. The Lady Popes are as strong as ever and own a victory over New Berlin Eisenhower this season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall baseball team nips New Berlin Eisenhower in regional thriller
- Whitnall baseball team upsets Muskego in regional title
- Baseball: Franklin pitching proves too strong for Whitnall in WIAA sectional semifinal contest
- Baseball: Fortman pitches Franklin past Greenfield in WIAA regional championship baseball game
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in regular season's final week
- Whitnall baseball team finishes 0-3 in Woodland Conference Tournament
- Whitnall's Thon compiles outstanding hitting record (1)
- Greenfield baseball team pulls out pair of one-run games in Woodland
- Whitnall baseball team finding more consistency, improving rapidly
- Greenfield softball star Matthias poses huge challenge to opposing hitters