Greenfield - After opening the Woodland Conference season with a resounding 72-30 romp over St. Francis, Whitnall's boys basketball team downed a foe from the always-strong Milwaukee City Conference.
The Falcons dropped Bradley Tech, 57-52, on Saturday morning in the Fresh Coast Classic at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
Austin Hurst led a balanced attack with 16 points, while Sam Mentkowski added 14 points, Nathan Schaefer nine points and Brent Sluka eight points. Both Mentkowski and Sluka connected on a pair of 3-point field goals.
Whitnall nursed a one-point lead into the fourth quarter, then outscored Tech 13-9 to gain the victory.
The Falcons dominated their Woodland game against St. Francis on Nov. 20, breaking to leads of 17-9 after one quarter and 38-16 at the half.
Hurst again was the leading scorer, this time with 12 points. Trenton Coleman and Mentkowski each put in 10 points and Sluka eight for Whitnall, which placed 11 players in the scorebook.
All together, it was a nice bounce-back week for the Falcons, who had opened the season with a disappointing 22-point loss to Waukesha West.
Whitnall welcomes rival Greenfield (0-2 going into this week) at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 30 in another Woodland contest. The Hustlin' Hawks lost two games last week by a combined seven points.
The Falcons then host Cudahy (1-2) at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 4. The Packers posted their first victory of the season when they beat the Milwaukee School of Languages, 50-41, behind 20 points from Tyler Fricke.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall baseball team nips New Berlin Eisenhower in regional thriller
- Whitnall baseball team upsets Muskego in regional title
- Baseball: Franklin pitching proves too strong for Whitnall in WIAA sectional semifinal contest
- Baseball: Fortman pitches Franklin past Greenfield in WIAA regional championship baseball game
- Struggles continue for Greenfield baseball team in regular season's final week
- Whitnall baseball team finishes 0-3 in Woodland Conference Tournament
- Whitnall's Thon compiles outstanding hitting record (1)
- Greenfield baseball team pulls out pair of one-run games in Woodland
- Whitnall baseball team finding more consistency, improving rapidly
- Greenfield softball star Matthias poses huge challenge to opposing hitters