Greenfield - With most of his starting lineup back, Greenfield boys basketball head coach Jack Miller is looking for improvement over last year's 5-19 mark.
"We should be a little better," Miller said. "We have some experience back. We lack in height, but we are fairly quick. I saw a lot of positives in our scrimmage Saturday at Kettle Moraine."
The Hustlin' Hawks actually took some steps forward late last season. They started 0-13 but won five of their final 11 games, including an upset victory over Oak Creek in a WIAA Division 1 regional contest.
They can build upon that with the return of five key players: 5-foot, 10-inch senior guard Ricky Santiago, who averaged about 11 points last season; 6-0 senior forward Sonnie Wilbert, who put in about eight points per game; 6-0 senior forward Kyle Schahczinski; 6-2 junior forward Josh Czerwinski; and senior Travis Reszczynski.
"I am cautiously optimistic," Miller said. "With our experience, if we play a more up-tempo game, we could maybe get a few more Ws."
Miller picked Brown Deer as the clear favorite in the new Woodland Conference East Division because of its athleticism.
Greenfield opens the season at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 20 at home against Shorewood.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield wrestlers build early lead, tie powerful Pewaukee for Woodland Conference crown
- Greenfield combined swimming team soars to second in Woodland Conference Meet
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers pull themselves off mat, top New Berlin in Woodland Conference dual
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers surge to Kenosha Bradford Invitational crown
- Shooting determines fate of Whitnall girls basketball team in pair of games
- Whitnall boys shake off slow start, go on to hammer South Milwaukee in Woodland Conference
- Whitnall boys basketball team sweeps three foes, wins twice in Woodland Conference
- Victory over rival, Plymouth Invitational crown highlight big week for Greenfield wrestlers
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers snare sixth in strong Marquette Invitational
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers come away with third place at Manawa Invitational