Greenfield - For the second straight season, the Whitnall Youth Basketball Club's sixth-grade Blue team won its division of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship.
Team members are Daniel Alexopoulos, Padraic Brannon, Sean Damro, Tyler Herro, Philip Karnes, Will Kegel, Andrew Mallmann, Lucas Merritt, Joey Tilley and Daniel Wolff. The head coach is Chris Herro and the assistant coach is Zac Mallmann.
All of these boys attend Whitnall Middle School. This team has started playing competitively in third grade and many of the boys started playing for the YMCA or Upward in first or second grades.
Building on last season's success, the sixth-grade boys played outstanding team basketball and beat every team by 12 points or more over the course of the entire tournament.
A total of 86 teams competed in the sixth-grade division at the tournament, which was played in the Green Bay area.
For the first time in the club's history, Whitnall had boys teams invited to compete in every grade level from fifth through eighth grades of the Wisconsin State Invitational.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Reed, Bickerstaff claim seconds for Whitnall at Woodland Conference Outdoor meet
- Greendale boys golf team brings home Woodland Conference crown
- Whitnall boys tennis team takes home pair of titles from Woodland tournament
- Greenfield's Nguyen, Kohl win events at Woodland Conference Outdoor meet
- Whitnall's Reed earns three top-four finishes at Woodland Conference Outdoor meet
- Germantown girls track team smashes records, set for NSC
- Greenfield's Larry Sayles' decision to become athletic trainer opened up his world
- Greenfield softball team clinches Woodland Conference East Division crown
- Whitnall softball team shows resiliency while battling injuries
- Nguyen leads Greenfield girls track and field team at Homestead Invitational