Greenfield - For the second straight season, the Whitnall Youth Basketball Club's sixth-grade Blue team won its division of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship.
Team members are Daniel Alexopoulos, Padraic Brannon, Sean Damro, Tyler Herro, Philip Karnes, Will Kegel, Andrew Mallmann, Lucas Merritt, Joey Tilley and Daniel Wolff. The head coach is Chris Herro and the assistant coach is Zac Mallmann.
All of these boys attend Whitnall Middle School. This team has started playing competitively in third grade and many of the boys started playing for the YMCA or Upward in first or second grades.
Building on last season's success, the sixth-grade boys played outstanding team basketball and beat every team by 12 points or more over the course of the entire tournament.
A total of 86 teams competed in the sixth-grade division at the tournament, which was played in the Green Bay area.
For the first time in the club's history, Whitnall had boys teams invited to compete in every grade level from fifth through eighth grades of the Wisconsin State Invitational.
- Greenfield softball team downs South Milwaukee, captures outright Woodland Conference title
- Jasmine Bickerstaff's first place helps boost Whitnall girls track, field team to third in Woodland
- New Greenfield boys basketball coach Kyle Johnsen confident about future of program
- Greenfield boys golf team breaks into top half of Woodland Conference standings
- Biersack belts two home runs to boost Greenfield past Whitnall in softball showdown
- Greenfield boys golf team captures Woodland Conference East Division championship
- Greenfield High School hires Kyle Johnsen as head boys basketball coach
- Greenfield girls soccer team bounces back with big victory over South Milwaukee
- Greenfield softball team tunes up for Woodland showdown with six victories
- Whitnall softball team knocks off mighty Westosha Central