Greenfield - So far this season, the Whitnall boys basketball team has beaten some strong opponents, but now the Falcons are facing an even tougher foe - overconfidence.
"We're in a spell right now where we're thinking we're good," coach Kent Kroupa said. "We may have had too much success too early. We need to play harder and smarter, and we have to come back down to earth."
Whitnall won three games last week to improve to 6-0 on the season. The Falcons topped Milwaukee Marshall/Morse/Juneau, 64-53, on Saturday night; Greenfield, 70-28, on Friday; and South Milwaukee, 51-26, on Dec. 6.
Kroupa said the efforts were good against Marshall and South Milwaukee but was displeased with his team's play against winless Greenfield.
Danny Weymier and Stephen Pelkofer each put in 23 points against Marshall, with Pelkofer hitting a trio of 3-point field goals and Weymier netting 10 of 11 free throws. The Falcons held a 40-37 lead after three quarters and outscored Marshall 24-16 in the fourth.
Whitnall had to deal with an unusual starting time of 9 p.m. on Saturday, as it was the final game of the Nicole Ellis Classic at Waukesha West.
Pelkofer led a balanced attack in the South Milwaukee game with 14 points. Michael Bonin added 11 points and Luke Mentkowski and Weymier each put in seven.
Whitnall jumped out to a 14-0 advantage and was up 22-8 after one period. The Falcons did not allow the Rockets to break into double figures in any quarter.
Against Greenfield, the Falcons were sluggish but still built a 37-15 halftime lead. Weymier led them with 14 points, while Bonin and Sam Mentkowski each added 10. Pelkofer was held to five points for the second time this season.
The Falcons welcome St. Francis at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 16F, then visit New Berlin West on Dec. 20 to close out pre-holiday play.
- Big innings taking Greenfield baseball team out of games this season
- Whitnall baseball team puts together good week until pair of losses to Pius XI
- Whitnall baseball team still searching for consistency
- John Quinlan named new head football coach at Whitnall High School
- Inexperience hurting Greenfield baseball team
- Football: Shane Covington named new head football coach at Greenfield High School
- McGranahan leaves Whitnall football coaching job to take Kenosha Tremper position
- Whitnall's Bickerstaff moves on to state track and field meet in hurdles race
- Big rally in seventh inning gives Greenfield softball team victory over Greendale, regional title
- Greenfield softball team downs South Milwaukee, captures outright Woodland Conference title