Greenfield - So far this season, the Whitnall boys basketball team has beaten some strong opponents, but now the Falcons are facing an even tougher foe - overconfidence.
"We're in a spell right now where we're thinking we're good," coach Kent Kroupa said. "We may have had too much success too early. We need to play harder and smarter, and we have to come back down to earth."
Whitnall won three games last week to improve to 6-0 on the season. The Falcons topped Milwaukee Marshall/Morse/Juneau, 64-53, on Saturday night; Greenfield, 70-28, on Friday; and South Milwaukee, 51-26, on Dec. 6.
Kroupa said the efforts were good against Marshall and South Milwaukee but was displeased with his team's play against winless Greenfield.
Danny Weymier and Stephen Pelkofer each put in 23 points against Marshall, with Pelkofer hitting a trio of 3-point field goals and Weymier netting 10 of 11 free throws. The Falcons held a 40-37 lead after three quarters and outscored Marshall 24-16 in the fourth.
Whitnall had to deal with an unusual starting time of 9 p.m. on Saturday, as it was the final game of the Nicole Ellis Classic at Waukesha West.
Pelkofer led a balanced attack in the South Milwaukee game with 14 points. Michael Bonin added 11 points and Luke Mentkowski and Weymier each put in seven.
Whitnall jumped out to a 14-0 advantage and was up 22-8 after one period. The Falcons did not allow the Rockets to break into double figures in any quarter.
Against Greenfield, the Falcons were sluggish but still built a 37-15 halftime lead. Weymier led them with 14 points, while Bonin and Sam Mentkowski each added 10. Pelkofer was held to five points for the second time this season.
The Falcons welcome St. Francis at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 16F, then visit New Berlin West on Dec. 20 to close out pre-holiday play.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: South Milwaukee football dominant over Greenfield
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Whitnall football team handed yet another tough defeat by Rockets
- Ezekial Banks' long run boosts Greenfield football team past Messwood
- Football: Banks delivers big run as Greenfield rallies
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Whitnall's Lauren Lent captures world championship in powerlifting
- Whitnall football team comes up just short once again in WC opener
- Trent Lower hired as new athletic director at Greenfield High School
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5