Greenfield's early lead plenty against SM

Sept. 9, 2011

Greenfield remembered well what happened when it played South Milwaukee last year, and this time, the Hustlin' Hawks came out on top. The Hawks scored two touchdowns in the first quarter and another in the second, to build a 21-0 lead en route to a 24-7 win at home on Friday evening.

“We have great kids,” said Greenfield coach Scott Otto. “It was a total team effort.”

Flipping the script from one year ago, when South Milwaukee defeated Greenfield, 22-7, the Hawks took another step forward in their rapid evolution.

The first quarter started with a bang, as the Hawks were able to score on the first possession of the game led by running plays from Bathong Pham and quarterback Tyler Laverdure. The 10-play drive was capped by a 2-yard touchdown run from Pham, followed by an extra point from Alex Bosl to give the Hawks a 7-0 lead less than five minutes into the game.

South Milwaukee could not respond on their first possession. Mat Tagye simply couldn’t find a way around the Greenfield defense in two carries and an incomplete pass on the third down led to a punt attempt that was blocked and recovered on the South Milwaukee 25 yard line. It only took four plays for Greenfield’s Andy Lucas, who ran for 105 yards during the game, to find the end zone.
“I couldn’t do it without the linesmen,” said Lucas. “They blocked well and opened holes.”

Halfway through the second quarter, Laverdure found space to move around the South Milwaukee defense and burst into the open field, running for a 58-yard touchdown and a 21-0 lead.

South Milwaukee was able to score a touchdown with just under two minutes left in the first half to make it 21-7 at the break.

South Milwaukee had opportunities to score in the second half, as well. The Rockets had a golden opportunity to get back into the game midway through the third quarter when Greenfield was forced to punt, and the snap sailed over the head of Alex Bosl.

The ball was downed on the 15-yard line of Greenfield, but the Rockets could not move the ball against the Greenfield defense, which gave up only 105 total yards in the game. The subsequent field goal attempt was blocked by Reggie Blakely.

“I tip my hat to the other team,” said Rockets coach John Galewski. “They played very well. We didn’t take advantage of the bad snap we recovered. We knew that we had to play assignment football and we had breakdowns. They outplayed us on both sides of the ball.”

Greenfield rounded off the scoring with a late field goal from Bosl to make it 24-7 with just over two minutes to play.

“We saw things in our scouting report that we liked,” said Otto. “We saw things that we thought we could expose. Our defensive backs did a nice job. South Milwaukee’s a very good football team. I’ve very pleased with our team tonight.”

Greenfield next plays at Whitnall, a squad undefeated in the Woodland Conference. The Hawks are working toward their first winning season since 2002.

“We’ve come a long way from years past,” said Lucas, “and we’re going to win some ball games.”




Latest Photo Galleries