Greenfield - While making the defensive transition from catcher to outfielder, Whitnall's Lizzy Menden put together a solid 2011 campaign.
"We had a senior catcher (Hannah Schmidt) this season, and they thought they could use my abilities in the outfield," she said. "(The move) was not too difficult. I had played in the outfield before in (youth) tournament games."
Falcons coach Gary Caliva appreciated the way Menden made the transition work.
"We had a need in center field, so we asked Lizzy to move to the outfield, and she improved throughout the year," Caliva said. "She became a leader in the outfield as well as someone that the rest of the team looked to for leadership."
Menden, just a sophomore, led the Falcons in average (.427) and in runs batted in (20) and was second in runs scored (15).
For these efforts, Menden is part of the 2011 NOW Newspapers All-Suburban outfield.
Among all of her statistics, one that really stood out was her measly three strikeouts in 77 at-bats.
"I just look for a pitch that I like and try to make contact with it," she explained about her hitting approach.
That strategy worked, especially in her individual highlight of the season. With her team trailing Waukesha West by one run in the bottom of the seventh inning of a WIAA Division 1 regional game, she came up and lined a two-run single to give the Falcons a 7-6 triumph.
The Falcons wound up 11-6 in the Woodland Conference and 12-8 overall, and Menden thought it was a good season.
"I think we were successful," she said. "It was just fun being part of a team."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall girls basketball team rolls past Milwaukee Hamilton in opener
- Greenfield boys team needs to overcome lack of experience, height
- Whitnall boys basketball team will rely heavily on younger players
- Greenfield's Kevin Meyers claims second national tandem bicycle title
- Whitnall underclassmen shine at WIAA Division 2 state swimming, diving meet
- Whitnall girls basketball team gears for transition season in 2014-15
- Greenfield swimmers see season end in WIAA Division 1 sectional meet
- Divers lead the way for Whitnall in WIAA Division 2 sectional meet
- Whitnall girls swimming, diving team grabs seconds at Woodland
- Greenfield girls volleyball team's season ended by nemesis Greendale