Greenfield - While making the defensive transition from catcher to outfielder, Whitnall's Lizzy Menden put together a solid 2011 campaign.
"We had a senior catcher (Hannah Schmidt) this season, and they thought they could use my abilities in the outfield," she said. "(The move) was not too difficult. I had played in the outfield before in (youth) tournament games."
Falcons coach Gary Caliva appreciated the way Menden made the transition work.
"We had a need in center field, so we asked Lizzy to move to the outfield, and she improved throughout the year," Caliva said. "She became a leader in the outfield as well as someone that the rest of the team looked to for leadership."
Menden, just a sophomore, led the Falcons in average (.427) and in runs batted in (20) and was second in runs scored (15).
For these efforts, Menden is part of the 2011 NOW Newspapers All-Suburban outfield.
Among all of her statistics, one that really stood out was her measly three strikeouts in 77 at-bats.
"I just look for a pitch that I like and try to make contact with it," she explained about her hitting approach.
That strategy worked, especially in her individual highlight of the season. With her team trailing Waukesha West by one run in the bottom of the seventh inning of a WIAA Division 1 regional game, she came up and lined a two-run single to give the Falcons a 7-6 triumph.
The Falcons wound up 11-6 in the Woodland Conference and 12-8 overall, and Menden thought it was a good season.
"I think we were successful," she said. "It was just fun being part of a team."
- Improving Greenfield boys golf team claims fourth place in large Franklin Invitational
- Whitnall boys track and field team win own invite title
- Jack Miller resigns as Greenfield High School boys basketball coach (1)
- Whitnall girls claim team championship in own track invite
- Strong pitching helps keep Whitnall softball team unbeaten for young season
- Greenfield softball team posts five straight shutouts before loss to Westosha Central
- Whitnall's Bauer outduels Greenfield's Matthias in 1-0 softball victory
- Greenfield girls soccer team bounces back from two losses with shutout of West Allis Central
- Whitnall girls track team soars to fourth place in Woodland Conference Indoor Meet
- Herro, Taylor led Whitnall boys basketball team's march to state