Greenfield - The season statistics for the Greenfield softball team in 2011 show many impressive numbers for senior Andrea Solberg.
Those include a .472 average, 10 extra-base hits and 42 runs batted in on the same number of hits.
As good as those totals are, it is on defense that Solberg owns a statistic that is jaw-dropping - no errors in 169 chances at first base.
"She is quite agile at first base," coach Jack Miller said. "Having no errors is tough to do when you are handling that many chances."
Solberg uses a simple defensive technique to achieve that level of perfection.
"I keep my body in front of the ball," she said. "I keep my eye on it all the time. I attack it; I don't back up on it and let the ball play me."
For these offensive and defensive statistics, Solberg made the 2011 NOW Newspapers All-Suburban team.
"She is one of the elite players in the area," Miller said. "She is a very feared hitter who hits for both average and power. She is a tremendous fielder and saved many runs with her glove."
Yet, Miller feels that, despite back-to-back All-Suburban honors, Solberg still might not be receiving her due.
"She might even be flying under the radar a bit," said Miller, who coached her on varsity for nearly four seasons. "She is a humble person. She is a quiet leader and leads by example. She was the heart and soul of our team in many ways, though, and a pleasure to coach."
She will attend the Milwaukee Area Technical College to study radiography, but has no plans to play softball there.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Returning starters look to help Whitnall boys basketball team make strides
- Sierra Grubor, Kendall Stribling lead Whitnall girls basketball team over Elkhorn in season debut
- Balanced attack boosts Greenfield girls basketball team past Racine Park in opener
- Greenfield Junior Hawks post sterling 19-3-1 record in football
- Greenfield girls basketball team will have a new look in 2015-16 season
- Greenfield native George Rajak honing hockey skills in US Premier League
- Doherty, Beckman earn fifth places for Whitnall at state swimming, diving meet
- Large group of returnees gives Whitnall girls basketball team hope for season
- Girls swimming: Greenfield's Claudia Kirkpatrick headed to state swimming
- Girls swimming: McElvain leads eight Whitnall entries to state swimming meet