Greenfield - Pitching and defense are the cornerstones for any successful baseball team.
And these two aspects have certainly been instrumental for Whitnall's hot start to the 2011 season.
In their six victories, the Falcons (6-1 entering this week) have given up 16 runs, with half of those coming in one game, a 12-8 slugfest against St. Thomas More. Whitnall pitchers have also yielded only 10 walks in the seven games.
The top pitchers for the Falcons have been sophomores Josh Serio and Sam Mentkowski and senior Nathan Dupont.
The defense has been solid as well, committing only 11 errors in the seven contests.
"This always gives us a chance to win," coach Brian Johnsen said. "We have been consistent with our pitching and defense."
The offensive attack has been paced by Serio with 10 runs batted in, Sam Mentkowski with a .380 average in the leadoff spot, junior Luke Mentkowski and senior Geoff Wisialowski.
Whitnall tipped Brookfield East, 6-5, on June 6 as Danny Weymier went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and one driven in, Wisialowski 2-for-4 with two RBIs and Sam Mentkowski 1-for-3 with two RBIs.
That turned out to be the Falcons' only action last week, as a game against Menomonee Falls on Friday was postponed by rain.
Whitnall is continuing Woodland Conference play this week, having met Greendale on Monday and Tuesday and travels to Brown Deer at 7 p.m. Thursday.
Johnsen said New Berlin Eisenhower, South Milwaukee and Greenfield are contenders in the Woodland Black Division this year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield wrestlers build early lead, tie powerful Pewaukee for Woodland Conference crown
- Greenfield combined swimming team soars to second in Woodland Conference Meet
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers pull themselves off mat, top New Berlin in Woodland Conference dual
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers surge to Kenosha Bradford Invitational crown
- Shooting determines fate of Whitnall girls basketball team in pair of games
- Whitnall boys shake off slow start, go on to hammer South Milwaukee in Woodland Conference
- Whitnall boys basketball team sweeps three foes, wins twice in Woodland Conference
- Victory over rival, Plymouth Invitational crown highlight big week for Greenfield wrestlers
- Greenfield/Greendale/Pius XI boys swimmers snare sixth in strong Marquette Invitational
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers come away with third place at Manawa Invitational